cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 31 of 38

Re: Digital Voice with phones older than 10 years

You have been offered an extremely simple solution to your problem but you seem reluctant to take it. If you didn't keep the filters that I suspect were sent with your ADSL router, they are £3.69 at Amazon, but if you were to ring BT customer services they may even send you one gratis.

Message 32 of 38

@SRBwrote:

Annie, if the hub is being fed by the filtered cable plugged into the socket on the top of the master socket, you can disconnect the extension sockets, just remove the front plate of the master socket. Then connect a male to male BT plug to the extension socket in the room with the smart hub. You will need a filter, as it's a quick and easy way to enable the ring wire on the circuit. If the master socket is in the same room as the hub, you just connect the male to male lead into the removed socket, so long as the extension wires remain connected to it. If you need an extension in that room too, a simple splitter will do the job. The supplied handsets do have decent sized numbers to be fair to them, but, I do honestly understand why some people prefer an older phone.

Thanks, I have suggested that the internal connections could be connected to the SH2 as a solution to the issue on Saturday to the 6th BT person I have spoken to over the phone, I was supposed to get a callback Saturday afternoon but as you may guess, I'm still waiting 😞

I'm not a BT engineer or want to purchase any extra wires etc.. on the chance that this work-a-round might work, I have been given conflicting information from it is easy to it does not work for everyone's setup

This should have all been worked out in the betas, I'm sure the majority of people will have phones over 10 year old as how often does anyone change their landline phone?

Annie

BT Halo 3 (73Mb Down / 18Mb UP)
0 Ratings
Message 33 of 38

I suggest the 10 year thing is a complete red herring. I have phones over 25 years old that don't require a bell wire. I suspect the number of phones in use that require the bell wire are extremely few and is certainly not one of the reasons for halting the rollout of DV.

0 Ratings
Message 34 of 38

I have no idea what you mean when you say "So that's your official standing then"  I am a customer just like you with no connection to BT so nothing I say is "official".

At the moment BT are supplying free solutions to some of the problems that you say you are having and no doubt they will continue to look for further solutions to other problems, hence the reason that they, although not all the other telephone providers,  have halted the the roll out.

It is entirely up to you whether you want to continue to use 10/20 year old equipment that presently works on the old analogue system and can be cobbled together to work on a digital system when there are both free and paid for digital solutions that will just work without problem.

As you are obviously not hearing what you want to hear there really is nothing further that I can add. 

Message 35 of 38

Not so sure about the number of phones in use that require a bell wire being as low as some people think. A lot of older people, my parents for example have a couple of BT Viscounts in the house, they never liked cordless phones as the volume on early DECT phones was, to be blunt, bloody awful compared to a "normal phone" - thinking of in law's etc they too have various fixed cable BT supplied phones, which all require the third wire. These are exactly the sort of customer who will find the change over hard. To simply write customers concerns off as them needing to catch up with the times, is never a good idea. 

However as I did mention, the supplied free of charge handsets are easy to use, have good battery life, good range and big numbers. At least try them before digging heels in, would be my advice.

0 Ratings
Message 36 of 38

@SRB wrote:

To simply write customers concerns off as them needing to catch up with the times, is never a good idea. 

They are not being written off, solutions are/will be available as has been pointed out in this thread.

Their 20 year old equipment is becoming obsolete because technology moves on. I am pretty sure not many people will still be using rotary dial phones having had to replace them with dial tone phones in the 70/80s or still using dial up modems on their broadband.

Message 37 of 38

@Annie_UK    I can't comment on the Digital Voice adapter, but I can confirm that the Smart Hub 2 will support older phones that require the third wire for ringing current.   Information on this and other Digital Voice issues here:    https://bt-digital-voice.blogspot.com/

0 Ratings
Message 38 of 38

@JB2016 

This was covered in message 5 where @Annie_UK  confirmed phone work ok connected to hub

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.