cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 21 of 33

Re: Digital Voice

Go to solution

StuarHK and others

Thanks for this. I was wondering this for exactly the reason you mention. And because I have an elderly friend who I keep an eye on and all she has is a simple phone. Yes I know before someone says I will have to buy her a dect.

ATA.......

Please people when replying please don't assume we all know what you mean?

I'm in the mechanical services industry, heating, lighting, ventilation, AC and so on. When I deal with customers I don't treat my customers as if they have a degree in mechancial services as I have. Instead of telling people that I'll specify a TMV I tell them that I'll specify a thermostatic mixing valve which controls the outlet water temperature to a fixed and safe level.

Please......

Thanks all.

0 Ratings
Message 22 of 33

Go to solution

Of course, the corded phone will not work if the router is down in a power cut just as a DECT phone will not.

My apologies for the abbreviations.  I have some experience as a trainer and assuming the audience knows what you are talking about is an all too easy trap to fall into, especially as they often don’t say anything.  The important thing is to ask if you don’t follow something.  There are plenty of people on here that will explain if prompted.

As a thought, before anybody asks, there are third party standalone ATAs available, “Grandstream” being the most common, but they are for use with standard VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol).

Digital Voice is a proprietary system based on VoIP, so I would be surprised if these ATAs work.

0 Ratings
Message 23 of 33

Go to solution

FYI ,  a corded landline phone will work plugged into the SH2 , no need for DECT , but the SH2 supports that as well , the ATA is built in , so no extra equipment is needed  ( a separate ATA  may be needed with a more traditional VoIP provider but not with DV ) 

The thing that worries some ( especially the elderly ) is that in a power outage , obviously the router as well as all other mains powered items is off , so unlike current the current telephone , that goes off as well, unless a UPS is connected to the router , with FTTP the ONT also needs power .

0 Ratings
Message 24 of 33

Go to solution

iniltous

Thanks for coming back.

Yes earlier this year I had reason to get involved with sorting the home of an elderly person ready for their return to the property. Sadly they didn't make it. RIP Dorothy.

However during the various conversations with providers of equipment for providing emergency calls etc I became aware of these very issues.  To be fair the equipment suppliers came to conclusion that a calling system using the mobile phone network was the way to go. But of course before anyone gets to the point that an event becomes an emergency they often just pick up the phone to speak to someone. And here it could well be that they have suffered a power cut so reach for the phone to tell someone they've had a power cut. It could even be a circuit breaker in their own premises causing the loss of power. If they're on DV then it's not going to work.

We, my good friend and I, discussed this and came to the conclusion that when Dorothy came home and when DV was installed we would buy her a UPS (uninterrupible power supply) to give her a few hours power back up for her router and phone to give her peace of mind and security.

However even this is not as simple as it seems. Master socket just inside the front door. Router goes into that and UPS powers the router all good. But her lounge and bedroom are quite some distance away and she needs a phone close by and so as we assumed her present internal hard wiring would go dead the only thing we thought we could do was plug an extension cable into the router and trail this through the flat to where she needed the phone. So lots of cable clips needed because she would have used a walking frame and we had already tidied away all loose leads as instructed.

We considered a dect system. So base station plugged into the router and UPS, again all good. But second "slave" unit would need mains to keep it charged in a power cut and so a second UPS would have to be bought. And of course DECT phones have batteries as do the UPS all of which need monitoring and replacing.

While I personally have no problem with DV, well in truth I'm puzzled as to why and what advantage it's going to give us, so the audio quality is going to be better, so what, who cares, I'm talking to someone I don't need it in high fidelity.... I am very concerned for the elderly, vulnerable and those by reason of capacity can only do the most basic of things.

Hence, before all my ramblings here, I asked whether the existing internal telephone system could be plugged into the router and somewhere else on that internal system a standard corded phone be plugged in and used and so saving all the issues I outlined above.

It seems to me that all that was (is?) required is a simple connector box with a phone lead. Plug the lead into the router and disconnect the internal phone system from the master socket and reconnect to this box. Hey presto you can then use any internal extension as before and for the vulnerable supply them with a UPS for the router and everyone is happy, safe and secure.

Sorry for the ramblings.

John

0 Ratings
Message 25 of 33

Go to solution

Stuart

Thanks for the reply. I fell into the same trap myself when I used AC instead of air conditioning......I must do better.

My thanks.

John

0 Ratings
Message 26 of 33

Go to solution

No problem.

I would point out that the UPS (Uninterruptable Power Supply) may not last “hours”.

They were originally intended to give servers a few minutes so software could do a controlled shutdown instead of the sudden power loss corrupting data.  While the new ones have improved and battery design has improved, you will still be lucky to find a domestic one that can last “hours”.  30 minutes to an hour would be more typical.  The manufacturer’s website will have discharge curve graphs that show how long they will last, depending on the load.

0 Ratings
Message 27 of 33

Go to solution

@JohnRH Just to clarify the reason for the shift to Digital Voice. It isn't to improve the sound quality it is because the existing PSTN (public switched telephone network) is life expired and in need of replacement.

0 Ratings
Message 28 of 33

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Message 29 of 33

Go to solution

Stuart

Fair comment.  On my UPS when I get a power cut my server closes down after about 3 mins leaving just the router attached and the readout gives me well over 2 hours run time but of course I have a meaty UPS. 

So yes a small UPS for just the router "hours" is overly optimistic.

Thanks

John

0 Ratings
Message 30 of 33

Go to solution

Keith

Thats excellent, thank you.

I shall sit and watch this.

By the way to all I found a video on you tube where someone describes the very issue I was talking about that is to get standard corded phones to work on a new router where VOIP is used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Id_KGXMcJHk

Just got to get a BT84A connector box now.

My thanks to all who contributed and helped me with this. And again (for BT) theres an awful lot of elderly people out there (and I'm fast approaching this) who are not IT literate and who sleep better at night when they know they are safe and secure and help is but a phone call away.

Thanks everyone.

John

0 Ratings