cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Digital voice and BT8500 call guardian

Hi. 
I am an ex BT engineer that has two existing BT8500 ( one with an answerphone) telephones, plus two hard wired extension phones as back up for power failures. If an incoming call comes in the hard wired phones ring once before the call guardian intercepts the call on the BT8500. This is a similar experience mentioned by one forum member that his DV phone rang once before his B8500 ( plugged into the hub) intercepted the call. I have just applied for digital voice but what BT are stating is when changing to digital voice you given a choice of a new DV phone or an adapter. If choosing an adapter which once registered next to the hub, it can then be moved to a BT socket in another room, using an existing phone (BT 8500) plugged into the adaptor. Obviously the hard wired extensions would be removed, but in theory the two BT8500 phones should work and call guardian also be able to activate. It does seem though that people are having definite problems involving mixing tge provided DV phone with existing BT8500 phones. Has anyone on this forum actually given it a thought that the DV phone provided by BT, may not compatible with the BT8500 phones? Rather than mix two different digital phones on the system, has anyone actually tried to use the adapter method and their existing BT8500 to see if call guardian works ok?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Digital voice and BT8500 call guardian

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Hi @hubbys   The DV Adapter plugs into a Mains socket, not a BT socket. I had call guardian phones for several years, but decided to go DV HD phones (3) completely.  I've got into the habit of sending calls directly to voice mail if the screen turns red (number not recognised) and it is not a local caller. If the call is important they always leave a message but like call guardian cold callers hang up.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

@hubbys 

did you read the FAQ posted bt @jac_95 

if using answering machine then you need to set 1571 to max number of rings before it answers giving your own answering machine time to answer call first

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Thank you VeteranISPUser for the quick reply and advice. I suppose the best way all round is to do as you have and use new DV phones and sending unwanted calls to voicemail.I did actually realise the adaptor plugs into a mains socket but it was the base phone cord that I was referring to that then plugs into the adapter. My actual point is that it seems no-one on the forum has actually attempted to connect the existing BT8500 telephones to an adapter to see if BT Guardian works as well as the phones. What people have done is opt for the free new DV phone and then tried to mix that phone with the BT8500 phones. Is there actually anyone on the forum that has tried the adaptor with only the BT8500 phones connected? After all, BT does give this  option when changing to digital voice. But if BT Guardian is also affected by this method then BT should state this in their information pages to advise people. What they are saying in one word is you can use new DV phones or in another word use your existing phones but fit an adapter. As a retired BT engineer surely BT should have pre-tested or known about a situation like this. After all in this day snd age of scam and sales calls BT Guardian has been one of the most successful systems used by BT to prevent them.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Hi Imjolly

Thabks for your reply, but it’s not the answer machine I am referring to. 
The main point is whether anyone on the forum has fitted the adapter and then tried their existing  BT8550 phone rather than mix with a new DV phone. 
As an ex bt engineer this should have been looked into by BT and information advised one way or another.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

this post seems to suggest it works ok

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-phone-including-Digital/BT8500-using-DV/m-p/2199208

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Hi @hubbys   Call Guardian is built into the BT8500 base station so will continue to work as before. It doesn’t matter if it connected to the DV adapter or Smart Hub. The delivery is different, but the phone is the same. Clearly if you also connect a DV HD phone that will ring until the old phone picks up the call.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Thank you veteranISPuser. That is exactly what res

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Thank you VeteranISPUser for your reply.

That is exactly what I wanted to hear to clear the up the confusion and verify that the BT8500 will work whether the use of an adaptor or DV phone is used in conjunction.

Much appreciated.👍

0 Ratings