cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 14

Digital voice ‘service’

We switched to BT for broadband and digital voice from 14th March, well before our existing package (including analogue phone line) terminates on 30th March. Digital voice didn’t start on 14th, nor on the revised date we were given (23rd) and we’re now pushed out to 12th April - two weeks after our analogue service ends! No one in BT can tell me why the delay nor can I trust that it will happen even on 12th April.

Putting  aside my annoyance with BT for leaving us up the creek without a paddle I’d love to understand why on earth it’s so difficult starting this service up or indeed whether there’s any alternative service we could initiate before the end of March.

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Re: Digital voice ‘service’

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 14

there is no alternative service from BT apart DV.

as you appear to be moving from another ISP are you trying to port your existing number?  if so was existing number originally issued by BT or another provider?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 14

I think our number was originally issued by BT. Does  this make a difference? I’ve read that it could be difficult to port a number if you try to do so after your service has terminated. My main concern is understanding why the delays are happening - communication with your Facebook colleagues refers to ‘closing the order’ which sounds more like an admin than a technical issue!

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 14

@Peterlbennett 

This is just a customer to customer help forum, everyone here, including myself, are just customers.
The only BT Employees are the forum moderators.

The problem is that BT are closing the old PSTN network and new customers are being transferred onto BT Digital Voice and will be given a new phone number.

There is a maximum 28 day window when exiting PSTN connection can be migrated onto BT Digital Voice, before all of the existing PSTN routing is deleted.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 14

porting your number when moving ISP is not guaranteed to work as problems do occur.  can you remember if number was originally issued to you by BT?  who is your previous ISP?  did you switch to them from another ISP and port your number?

it may make a difference in ability to keep number depending on original issuer of number

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 14

BT originally issued the number. It was transferred to Sky and then to Utility Warehouse who will be terminating their service in a week. 

Even now your response is helpful because we hadn’t been told before that porting our number might be problematic!

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 14

there are numerous post on the forum of customers porting their number and having problems and this seems to happen more often on transfers from SKY.  I am surprised you managed to port from BT to UW and then to SKY 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 14

Thanks - I’m new here and thought distinguished sage was a BT moniker!

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 14

Sorry - the other way round - BT to Sky then Sky to Utility Warehouse…if that makes a difference. Either way I now understand why there might be delays is starting our BT service!

0 Ratings