cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Do I have to have digital voice?

We have fibre and I understand now the line rental for phone is rolled into this cost now?

All I see on my bill is BB and TV package so presume so. 

I’ve had email saying now changing to digital voice. We don’t use landline now and happy to go without it, is this an option mid contract and would the BB fibre price then come down? 

Thanks

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Do I have to have digital voice?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

You don't have to have a landline if you don't want one but I suggest you do a cost comparison before making a decision, I think you'll find that there's very little in it.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

Not sure how much line rental is these days, used to be quite expensive, in relevance of how much we used it, as in none!

Not sure if asking BT would then mean having to re-contract as well though, which I don’t want.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

It’s been many years since broadband lines had a separate charge for line rental , it’s not simply the case that if someone is paying £35/month ( for example ) that breaks down as £20 line rental , £15 broadband, even if telephony only lines pay £20 line rental.

Removing telephony at the same time as DV is being added has no ‘advantages’ just because you are moving onto DV , doesn’t change anything, if you are within a contract minimum term , that still exists, if you are not inside a minimum term DV doesn’t start a new contract, it simply changes where you plug the phone in.

As stated the saving by removing telephony may be as little as £2/month , but if you change the terms , by removing telephony will probably start a new minimum term inside or  outside a current minimum, and there possibly could be some ETC if inside a current minimum,

TBH , there probably wouldn’t be any ETC , but it would start a new minimum 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

This seems to be a common misconception.

You still need a line to deliver broadband, and you have to pay for it. Tagging a phone on to your broadband costs pennies these days, not pounds as it used to. 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

I don’t need a phone line now as have fibre, digital is going via router/BB.

Not sure how much was paying for line rental before, as bills don’t show that far back. On this contract was never asked about cost of line rental, as above might have been pennies which is fine.

Just be nice to know though as BT say now “it’s rolled into BB” but it must be somewhere about the cost of that bit.

I’m not bothered on having a home line now, so might not even plug in so will see.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

Line rental (which is now an integral part of your contract) is not telephone line rental, it is line rental for whatever service(s) that line is carrying.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

@QoQwrote:
I don’t need a phone line now as have fibre, digital is going via router/BB.

Not sure how much was paying for line rental before, as bills don’t show that far back. On this contract was never asked about cost of line rental, as above might have been pennies which is fine.

Just be nice to know though as BT say now “it’s rolled into BB” but it must be somewhere about the cost of that bit.

I’m not bothered on having a home line now, so might not even plug in so will see.

As I said, a common misconception.

The fibre is the line. Just because it's not copper doesn't mean it's free gratis, fibre still has to be paid for just as copper did back in the day.

In short, no line rental = no line =no service

Message 10 of 12

Ah ok I see. So you still need line rental, but can lose the phone service (that’s what used to be classed as line rental as such?).

However I hope BT, and others, negate the charge for phone line rental then as it’s almost built in with fibre etc now, and if use digital voice etc.

Reason I originally asked was the email from BT said this…

If you don't use your home phone, you could switch to a Broadband Only plan. To find out more, please visit bt.com and log on to view options

0 Ratings