cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 101 of 115

Re: Elderly/vulnerable customers without Broadband - Notification of new Digital Voice service

Go to solution

The DV adapter is simply a portable analogue phone socket that just plugs into any mains socket and connects to the hub via DECT. Any phone can be plugged into it or a DECT base station.

As described in the FAQ

Message 102 of 115

Re: Elderly/vulnerable customers without Broadband - Notification of new Digital Voice service

Go to solution
"Thanks. I'm not sure I understand that. Are you saying this "DV adaptor" will allow her to plug in her cordless phones' base unit into her existing bedroom socket (which isn't her master socket)?"
Nope. The DV adapter plugs into an ordinary electricity wall socket, and then the phone plugs into the standard BT socket that the DV adapter is equipped with. The existing bedroom BT socket becomes redundant.
Message 103 of 115

Go to solution
Ta, both. Do these have a pass through socket for mains, or are we again having to add extra mains sockets?
0 Ratings
Message 104 of 115

Go to solution

No they don't have pass through but a multiway  plug adapter from Screwfix is £3.19

plug.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 105 of 115

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Message 106 of 115

Go to solution

All this of course is speculative, BT have another solution to BT ‘line only’ and the retirement of the PSTN , these customers can be made DV compatible, it’s where the ATA ( analogue telephone adapter ) , is within the exchange building and the ‘connection’ to the broadband equipment is also made within the exchange, that means the PSTN equipment still gets switched off , the building housing that equipment ( the telephone exchange) still exists, all the clever stuff is within the exchanges, the copper pair from the exchange to the customer, and everything inside the customer address is exactly as it is now , same outcome as converting the customer to broadband, just no equipment in the customer address, both solutions are on the table , which will be used is still to be decided, or still to be made public.

All this angst is for likely for nothing , as pointed out many times , line only customers are the back of the queue for this change to digital voice , to be in a state of panic now is completely unwarranted, there are two solutions, one of which the customer wouldn’t even realise they have been changed to DV .

Message 107 of 115

Go to solution

And that is the most likely solution in the short term, until the current customer decides to get broadband, or a new owner moves in who would not be given the option of a phone only service, without it being over broadband.

A lot of worry over nothing.

Message 108 of 115

Go to solution

Slightly off topic, but I think the media is partially to blame, whipping people into a frenzy over the changeover with their fear stories.

They could have easily done a little digging and found out about the alternate solution posted above, to reassure everybody, but they didn't.

Message 109 of 115

Go to solution
I have seen zero about this in press or TV. I only came across it earlier in the week because I saw it mentioned in passing in something else I was looking at.
If this ATA thing is a goer, then I'll try to guide my mother down that route, rather than some of the other unsatisfactory suggestions
0 Ratings
Message 110 of 115

Go to solution

At the moment nobody knows how DV will be supplied to telephony only customers so just wait and see what is available when the time comes. You are unnecessarily trying to solve a problem that currently doesn't exist and will probably change before it does.