cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

How to get an engineer to replace a damaged line?

My elderly mother’s phone isn’t working and she has intermittent broadband access. I’ve been round the houses reporting it as a fault and then on online chat for a long time but BT say the line is ok and suggested it was the equipment at fault. I visited her today with a different phone but there is no dial tone. On closer inspection the wire from the connecter from the outside line just inside the house that then connects to the master socket is almost worn through. The connector may be the original one from when the house was built in 1966. I suspect this is the problem. How do I get an engineer to come and repair this connection without spending several more hours on online chat?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: How to get an engineer to replace a damaged line?

Reporting as a phone fault rather than broadband should bypass pain of the script readers. You should be able to do that online.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Thanks rbz5416, though I’ve found online chat to be far from the quick and easy route BT suggests it is!
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Not chat, here.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Thanks!

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Anything on the street side of the master socket, including the portion of cabling inside the house, will be fixed by Openreach if you log a fault through BT.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Hi @tapstar

Thanks for your posts and welcome back!

I am sorry for the problems your Mum is having with her phone line.  I'm just dropping by to double check how you got on reporting the fault.  Can you post back and let me know please?  If you still need a hand we'll be happy to help you out from here. 

Thanks 🙂

Robbie

0 Ratings