cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 31 of 57

Re: How to prevent malicious fault report and call divert

Go to solution

@licquoricewrote:

I strongly suggest you don't try to contact anyone except the mods as it will just cause confusion. The mods are the best team to resolve this.

Too late. I'm on the phone to BT right no, but she struugling to understanf whsats going on.  She can't tell me who reset my recovery details.

0 Ratings
Message 32 of 57

Go to solution

So according to this advisor, the hacker's BT ID was still active, even though the MODs told me that this had been removed.  She's removed it, but said it can take 24 hours to take effect.  She couldn't tell me how to contact the fraud team so I can get answers to my questions.

HOW DO I CONTACT THE FRAUD TEAM?

My questions:

1. What information did the hacker have about me that enabled them to convince BT to divert my landline calls and so perpetrate this fraud attempt? How did BT verify the hackers identity?

2. What can I do to prevent this happening again?

3. Why did BT send an email about this complaint to a yahoo.com email address that I have never registered, rather than my registered email addresses of xxxx and xxxx

4. Why did your staff member try to phone me on the hackers mobile number instead of the registered landline number?

5. When this hacker reported a fault and diverted all my calls, why Didn't BT:
- Call my landline to see if it was working? If they'd done that, I would have picked up the phone and talked to them, as the landline was working. There was NO fault.
- Call my registered mobile number to verify?
- Send a text to my registered mobile number to verify?
- Send an email to my registered email address to verify?

0 Ratings
Message 33 of 57

Go to solution

HELP!!! Can someone please help.

So I've now just received another email (at 16:00pm) saying that I've updated my recovery details and security details, but I haven't!  Or is this someone within BT doing these updates but suggesting that it's me that has done them?  Or is the hacker doing them?

EDIT: Even if I update the password for my BT-ID, presumably this doesn't stop the hacker using the BT-ID that they setup to access my account?

0 Ratings
Message 34 of 57

How to contact BT Fraud Team

Go to solution

I've recently had a problem that has been escalated as a "Data Protection Breach" to the fraud team.  How can I contact this team to chase up on progress?  I've tried 150, but they don't know.

0 Ratings
Message 35 of 57

Re: How to contact BT Fraud Team

Go to solution

@tarbat  No help as such BUT did BT contact you first? I mention this as it is very unusual for BT to call you out of the blue. 

0 Ratings
Message 36 of 57

Go to solution

@Carlushawrote:

@tarbat  No help as such BUT did BT contact you first? I mention this as it is very unusual for BT to call you out of the blue. 

It's an ongoing complaint via both the MODs on this community and an advisor contacted on 150.

0 Ratings
Message 37 of 57

Go to solution

Hi @tarbat

I have moved all your posts on to this one thread to keep the conversation in the one place.

I am very sorry for these problems.  I realise how serious this is and rest assured, this is being looked into with urgency.  I have been in touch with the fraud team who are investigating this and I'll have a further update for you tomorrow.

We'll stay with you until everything is fully resolved.

Thanks,

Robbie

Message 38 of 57

Go to solution

Thanks. And apologies if I’ve bypassed some process by talking to 150 directly yesterday, but given the emails I was receiving yesterday telling me I’d updated recovery details and security details, when in fact I hadn’t, I needed URGENT assurance about what was happening in real-time. I did PM the MOD dealing with this, but got no reply.

I’m still unclear whether those updates originated from the hacker or from some process within BT.

0 Ratings
Message 39 of 57

Go to solution

So I had another phone call from BT getting me to reset the two-factor authentication AGAIN, which I complied with. Apparently BT are still concerned about the hacker.

Hopefully this was a genuine call from BT, although BT don’t appear to have any process in place to allow the customer to verify that calls from BT are genuine. She sounded genuine, but maybe I’m being fooled by that? How do we, as customers, verify that we’re really talking to BT? It’s got to the point where I’m not sure who to trust.

0 Ratings
Message 40 of 57

Go to solution

@tarbat 

"How do we, as customers, verify that we’re really talking to BT?"

This is something that has concerned me in the past when I have received calls in the past from organisations, (not BT), that I have dealings with and suspect the call to be genuine, but want to verify.

What I came up with, and I'm certainly not suggesting that it is foolproof, is asking the callers something that only the genuine company should know, such as which bank they take my Direct Debit from - I don't think that information would be available to a hacker who could see your online bills, would it?

You , and others on this thread, may be able to think of similar "secure" questions?