cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

I dont want digital voice

I dont want digital voice. It's bloody awful. Had a power cut for 6 hours because of national grid issue. I couldnt use my landline I have poor mobile phone signal.. I want my PSTN line back that was working perfectly fine.... WHY is this being rolled out when I do not even have FTTP yet.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: I dont want digital voice

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Customers with FTTC have also be changed to digital voice it is not just FTTP.  unfortunately there is no way back for dv

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

@samtheaspiewrote:

WHY is this being rolled out when I do not even have FTTP yet.

The PSTN network is being switched off in a few years, long before FTTP is covered nationally, it comes down to the cost of maintaining an older network no longer fit for tomorrows use and investing in the new fibre network.

This applies to all 600+ communication providers (CPs) that use the Openreach network, BT needed a new product and the result is Digital Voice, other CPs have their own version but are similar in design.

Almost everyone that complains about being moved to Digital Voice is unhappy because of power cuts ... why not complain to the power companies instead ? It seems they are the cause of the gripes and let's be honest we pay far too much for gas/electricty.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

I sympathise. I don't want it either, but sadly we have no choice. It's not just the fear of losing power, but signal too... I have visions of calls that 'bubble' and break up, or just sound 'thin' and tinny, like the crappy VoIP calls that have come to define the last two years since the pandemic. It's really annoying when you're listening to an interesting interview on the radio and that happens! It didn't in the days when most people used landlines. Analogue will always be more reliable than digital; just compare analogue radio to digital.

I notice that other providers that use the Openreach network aren't exactly rushing to reveal their digital telephony plans. Either they won't bother with calls, or they're waiting to see how BT's offering pans out.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Talk talk have announced their digital voice equivalent

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2022/05/talktalk-prep-uk-digital-voice-service-and-wi-fi-hub-2...

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

To add new Sky customers are put onto onto their own equivalent of digital voice too. So other communication providers are doing this today just less press about it.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Yes Sky are doing it as well and unfortunately some of the sub sub sub contractors don't know how it works.

My neighbour changed to Sky broadband and phone, not sure who from, broadband worked fine but the installer could not work out why the phone did not work. I sorted it out by just plugging his phone into the Sky hub very easy and convenient, but also told him about having to dial the code as well as the local number.

If only all the suppliers got their act together and supplied good information there would be less complaints.

Message 9 of 9

@Bob1001 wrote:

If only all the suppliers got their act together and supplied good information there would be less complaints.

Exactly that. It has been a complete PR disaster by all providers.