cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

If Digital Voice is enabled, could I change broadband provider but keep my landline with BT?

Go to solution

I suspect the answer is no,  as the landline is probably inseperable from BTs broadband product now but it's worth asking. While I'm still using copper for voice I might try to migrate only my broadband, then when that's done I can port my number to Sipgate with minimal disruption to broadband, and also get to keep my landline number.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: If Digital Voice is enabled, could I change broadband provider but keep my landline with BT?

Go to solution

no as DV needs you to use the SH2 as first connection.  if you want to move ISP and also keep your phone number then you need to move phone to a VOIP provider and then you can move to another ISP for broadband

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 9

Re: If Digital Voice is enabled, could I change broadband provider but keep my landline with BT?

Go to solution

Problem is of course that moving the number to a VOIP provider like Sipgate will terminate the broadband, so it's virtually impossible to orchestrate the move to make everything seamless. Choice is: do without broadband for a few days or lose the old landline number to the pool. I know new legislation is  on the way to ease the process but I can't be bothered to wait that long.
My idea of trying to hold onto the copper landline with BT probably won't work as they'll probably cancel that along with the FTTP broadband. At the moment details are hard to come by.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

Is it possible to cancel FTTP broadband but keep copper landline service?

Go to solution

In addition to my previous question....As BT still haven't moved my landline to Digital Voice (despite banging on about how it was happening soon for months) I still have my landline delivered by the copper network. The broadband is FTTP.
I know that if I port my landline number elsewhere then I also have to accept cancellation of BT broadband as broadband is tied to the landline account.
However if I cancel BT broadband first (to go to another provider), can I keep the copper landline service active (so I can port it a couple of weeks after broadband has )? Has anyone any direct experience of this?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Re: Is it possible to cancel FTTP broadband but keep copper landline service?

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

I moved you post onto your original thread to keep everything together.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

I feel moving my post actually means the question I've asked won't get seen. It's a different question.
In order to have some hope of getting it answered, I've removed the accepted solution from the top post.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

as your FTTP and landline are a package cancelling 1 automatically cancels both.  you need to call CS or maybe FTTP team 08005874787 and see if you can do what you want.  if you are out of contract then possibly move phone to VOIP provider which will automatically cancel package then move to another provider - but I would phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

An update to this:
My BT FTTP was successfully transferred to TalkTalk FTTP last week. I noted that BT didn't notify me of the switch but I'm certainly now on a 500mb/s service rather than 300mb/s. I also noticed that as hoped, the copper landline was still active. I immediately commenced porting the landline number from BT to Sipgate Basic. Today the port completed and BT informed me I'd lose both phone and broadband. I can only assume they hadn't noticed the broadband switch last week, which might cost me another fiver or so but to be honest holding on to the landline number was probably worth it. Mission accomplished!