cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

Incoming calls cut off after 1/2 hour

Go to solution

I have been with BT for many years, some may say stupidly as we have not changed providers since moving in.  Just recently we have lost being able to have Caller ID - it just won't work, and our incoming calls are cutting off at 30 mins.  We have had 5 engineers out who claim the line is good (albeit they have found us routed through old ASDL stuff and moved us, swapped our line as there was a poor signal) and now they seem to think it is the equipment in my house.  This is laughable as I have tested it with all my equipment not connected - and still we cannot get caller ID, and our incoming calls cut off at 30 minutes - so therefore it is NOTHING to do with my home set up.

We have had one engineer suggest we move providers to get a new line run through - or demand that BT set us up with a new run line.  

Has anyone else had issues with calls cutting out for apparently no reason - and their line suddenly lose the ability to have caller ID too?

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: Incoming calls cut off after 1/2 hour

Go to solution

If your incoming calls cut off rather than outgoing calls, the problem lies with the originating service

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

But why does it impact all calls - no matter whom they are from?
Also why is our Caller ID stopped as well - when it was fine - we've tried all the tests, had it removed, replaced - and still it doesn't work - despite my account stating I have it - and we have a compatible phone that is capable (and did) show Caller ID?

EDIT - FYI Those calling us do not have this issue with others they are calling?

Our set up is:   FTTC - Halo 1 - with BT Vision (NOW) and Landline (on Pay as you Go with caller ID)

We have steady 36-37 down and 5-7 upload speeds - used to get far better than that when I first moved in as an early adopter to FTTC (used to get 60-70 download) have had the UGC line replaced due to water damage a couple of years ago. and now only get the slower speed now - I think they've capped it!)  Also we are connected to a FTTC cabinet that is 1/2 mile down the road - when we have one right outside our house!

@licquorice - oh and thank you for your really quick reply 🙂

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

Failure of caller ID can be caused by a hardware (line card) fault in the exchange.

Dial *#234# and see if the service is activated within the exchange software.

If its says its active, then a hardware fault is most likely the cause.

A hardware fault can also cause disconnects of the line, if the line card loses communications with the exchange.

Normally a change of equipment number (EN) fixes the faults.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoe Thank you for your reply - it has left me hopeful of a resolution.

Having dialled *#234# the voice at the end says that it is 'unavailable'.  BT account online and speaking to them in person say it is switched on.  We have tried 'switching it on and off' (famous IT process) and still it now shows as 'unavailable'.

I will call BT again... and hopefully they will try this and hopefully my line will be back to performing as it should.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

Having dialled *#234# the voice at the end says that it is 'unavailable'.

@HoodedOracle 

That is quite a common problem where the exchange configuration is lost, and is out of sync with the account.

To fix it, you need to remove the caller display option from MyBT, and progress that order.

Then wait 24 hours and add it again. That will reload the customer profile within 24 hours.

This would not be the cause of the connection dropping out, as that points to an exchange hardware issue.

I have asked a moderator to assist with this.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

Hi @HoodedOracle, welcome back to the forum and thanks for your posts. 

Sorry that your calls are getting cut off and the engineers couldn't find any fault. We'll be happy to help you with this. I've sent you a Private Message so you can get in touch with us.

Cheers

John

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

After having the line checked, rechecked and so on - and having my Caller ID status cancelled, reordered a couple of times - yesterday 09/10/2022 the line was finally cleared and the caller ID started working again - so I am none the wiser as to what they did, i.e. how they resolved it - but it now works; calls don't cut off, the line is clean and we have caller ID again.

So - did I get a solution as to why - no; did I get the problem resolved - yes...

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

Hi @HoodedOracle, thanks for the update and great to know it's resolved now. @RobbieMac has your case. He'll be back in the office next week and he may be able to provide you with more information.

Cheers

John

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution
I REALLY DON'T BELIEVE THIS - recently had a crackly line fixed by an openreach engineer - now my calls cut off again after 1/2 hour ... again... this is like a vicious circle of faults - either I have no Caller ID, or Calls Cut off, or I have a bad line - never are all fixed at the same time!
0 Ratings