cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Keep landline number

Hello, I have had the same landline number with BT  for 40+ years and recently moved home which I believe is not in the same exchange area. A BT engineer has installed a new line with a new number but I am getting mixed responses about whether I can keep my original number. The last response was to wait until the new line has been active for a week and then request a renumber/porting of my original number. Is this possible?

If not, is it possible to keep that original number and divert calls to the new number? Thank you 

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Keep landline number

Hi @Ac24 and welcome to our community.

If you've moved to a different exchange with a diferent area code then it wouldn't be possible to port the number over. Have you been switched over to digital voice?

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

@DavidM  Thanks for your reply, I don’t believe I have been switched to Digital Voice, I’m on a basic plan. The area code is still the same, the properties are 10 minute drive apart but not in the same exchange area from what I understand.  I was told to wait a week and request a renumber instead, is this an option? Thank you 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Hi @Ac24 and thanks for the reply.

Given the information you've provided I think it's unlikely the nimber can be moved but I'll be able to get you a definitive answer for that. I've sent you a message so please reply with the details and we'll look at this for you.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Hi mate how did you get on with this

im in a similar situation

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

I had to change my number, not ideal
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Yeah very unfortunate.

would’ve thought with the digital line it would be possible to do. 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

It is possible to do , it just isn’t policy to do it  , even though it was once a physical limitation, and that limitation no longer exists, the linked numbering  scheme is still deemed to be of value , even if someone moving home would prefer to take a number  across exchange boundaries,.

From the consumer point of view, when considering a business , it’s may helpful for a consumer to know from the phone number if it’s a local business,  and the police and other ‘emergency’ services , knowing a landline phone number will indicate the area that number is located in , is desirable.

0 Ratings