cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 43

Re: Keeping phone extensions working with Fibre Broadband and Digital Voice

Go to solution

BT ensure that DV will work and extensions are up to you. 

I agree that it is up to me if my extensions are not operational - however all of my extensions are fully functional when they have a phone line feed (I do not plug a single phone into the incoming socket - the distribution box is plugged in).

Hence if BT ensure the replacement phone line line feed is working there is should not be an issue.

The issue of the phone line feed is purely in the control of BT and Openreach to ensure that I have a phone signal to plug the extension distribution box into. At the moment I do not see anything that is my issue to resolve.

As commented it appears that BT/Openreach need to come and fix something like this:-

RodoRod_0-1660663160936.png

Assuming I get confirmation that this will be done - and will function - that is good - at the moment this seems to be an issue for some reason.....

Many thanks for looking at this.

Rod

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 43

Go to solution

Thank you

That seems to be a sensible solution - much appreciated......

I guess that BT "sales" staff are not trained to answer questions and with the "official" solution in short supply it is unlikely to be offered.

Very insightful and much appreciated.

Rod

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 43

Go to solution

Thank you

I had not heard of the digital adapter before.

I agree that BT is to supply telephony capability to my house - which is why I asked if there would be a socket I could plug (my fully functional) distribution box into (as it is plugged into the existing socket).

It seems to be a very difficult question to get answered, however the replies in this thread have shown some illumination.

Many thanks

Rod

PS - it is a shame that BT staff are not trained to advise the implications of BT's change in telephony provision, rather than just doing it - as commented I have seen this cause significant issues with people locally.......

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 43

Go to solution

OK so I am sure your explanation along with Licorice would work just fine excepts that Mr Open Reach who succeeding in wrecking my hallway (still awaiting recompense) took away our old master socket. The DV phone works fine but I would love to be able to use my BT 4600 phones with their answer phone.

No, these work fine if directly plugged into the green plug on the rear of the hub but I don't want the master phone to be there. I wand it to be in my study where it used to be connected to an extension socket. All I have left where the master socket used to be was a single RJ11 plug. Hmm, I thought, use an adapter RJ11 female to BT Male plug and all will be well - how wrong could I be. The message "Please check line cord" disappears but no dial tone. Nothing.

I'm not a complete **bleep** when it comes to this stuff as I started my career as a TO with the GPO as it was then. I did my share of subs apps stuff (changed a lot of course) and would love somebody to tell me how to connect this up. I don't really want to run a whole new cable as the room is a nightmare.

Any clues?

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 43

Go to solution

You could try a dv adapter which plugs in to mains andconnect to the hub using DECT and then connect base unit to the adapter

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 16 of 43

Go to solution

You have my sympathy and I hope a solution appears soon.....

I am intentionally not renewing my contract until I feel confident that ALL of my phone extensions will work and I can place my DECT phones where I want to place (not in the Utility where my line comes in and my router is, which is not the place to plug in a phone).

It may be my responsibility to sort out my distribution - all I need to someone who will do it and guarantee it will work - I am not into fitting sockets and moving or connecting pairs of wires - at the moment this does not appear to be a consideration in the drive to switch people to Digital Voice (or equivalents) - it appears to me to be the one of the most consumer unfriendly switches with no real benefit to the user who just wants a phone with the existing wired extensions that work fine at the moment.

As commented I hope that you have a solution soon that does not mean rewiring and running new cables......

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 43

Go to solution

Well ImJolly, that is not really a solution. This all worked absolutely fine until OpenReach removed the master socket. The infrastructure is all there and should work 😞  Spending money on a DECT box is not a viable solution. Yes, we are moving away from copper cable outside the home but .... it should work absolutely fine for voice within the home.

Given the problems I have faced with BT over my Full fibre installation (the most expensive option), problems with my VPN, the extension issue and the extortionate costs I am moving to Sky at the end of the month.

If I could have spoken to somebody who really knew what to do, things might have been different.

Regards,

James M Tennet
Edited by Mod
Message 18 of 43

Go to solution

Unless you want more spam and nutters calling you that you will know what to do with, I suggest you delete all that personal information.

All you need do is replace the missing master socket, re-connect the extension wiring and connect it to the hub using a male to male phone plug cord.

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 43

Go to solution
"If I could have spoken to somebody who really knew what to do, things might have been different."

That is what is needed - why is it so difficult to provide?

Good luck with your Sky move - hope you are able to resolve the issue and get the extensions working again.....
0 Ratings
Message 20 of 43

Go to solution
You do realise the switch to using Sky will be accomplished by Sky sending a router for you to plug into the ONT on the day your service with them starts , Sky will also deliver telephony, if you request it , via the router , there is no need for a visit , ( even if there were it would be Openreach ) so it’s still your own problem to connect your existing extensions to the Sky router if it’s imperative to have your extension sockets made useable again