cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 33

Re: Landline phone cuts off when answered

BT do have a solution to provide Digital Voice over an existing copper pair using a low speed broadband connection of 500Kbs, and a Smart Hub 2 on the end.

The connection would not provide Internet connectivity, just VOIP.

This is for landline only customers like yourself.

Meanwhile, I cannot see any reason why your existing PSTN connection cannot be fixed, even if its only an temporary solution until the closure of the PSTN network in 2025.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 33

Something to have in mind , the fact that your complaint is about telephony suggests that telephony is important to you , not every ISP or Alternative Network provide telephony with their services, so you could have to use a third party VoIP provider, ( so another ‘fee’ on top of the ISP charge ) and as far as your BT email, if you stop being a BT customer you can use the email by logging in via a web browser to ‘BT’ and use the service that way ( so no email clients ‘pushing’ an indication of new emails etc , ) or you can pay BT for the premium email service but obviously that’s also in addition to whatever your new ISP charges you

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 33

Thanks, that at least helps me understand and provides some options..... all the best

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 33

Thank you.   I'm hoping they will fix it, however now I have more information I can at least consider other options should they be unable too.   The only reason we have the land line is for two dementia parents and the only way they can contact us.

Thanks again

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 33

Does it cut off if you receive calls from other people?

What happens if you call your home phone from a mobile?

Are the calls from parents direct, or via a monitoring service?

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 33

Hi thanks for asking... in response to your questions;

Does it cut off if you receive calls from other people?   Yes... any & every incoming call

What happens if you call your home phone from a mobile?  Same, cuts off

Are the calls from parents direct, or via a monitoring service?  Direct BT landlines..

Its all pretty consistent, can make out going calls but every incoming call cuts off...

thanks again

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 33

@neil121 

It does sound like an exchange equipment fault.

Have you been contacted by any of the moderators?

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 33

@Keith_Beddoe I can see @StuartH has picked this up

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 33

@NeilO 

Hopefully he can get the EN changed in the exchange, that would be a good start. Probably a worn out relay not providing the line voltage when the call is answered. 

Its quite an achievement to keep these old exchanges working, considering most of the maintenance staff left years ago.

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 33

Hi Keith, yes several people have contacted me via this forum - which is good - all suggesting a possible issue in the exchange. I have an engineers appointment on the 2nd so hopefully they can get to the bottom of it.

Thanks again for contacting me 

all the best Neil

0 Ratings