cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Long audio delay possible with Digital Voice?

Go to solution

We have as yet not been switched over to Digital Voice but I was reading about some of the possible problems encountered with this technology and one of the things mentioned was the possible long audio delay suffered on some conversations etc and then I remembered this happening during several very recent tv interviews where the studio based reporter is talking to a 'home' based interviewee.Think some were on GB news interviews and others on Sky 'The Papers' section  around 22:30pm but the delays were long and very noticeable to the extent you thought the line had been lost.

Given the extensive field testing BT have done with this technology I have not heard this problem mentioned so is it confined to 'Broadcast' type set-ups and the more involved signal routes etc used?

Would welcome the views of the Forum members.  

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Long audio delay possible with Digital Voice?

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

IP telephony systems have been around for years and Digital Voice is just BT's version of this technology. Most businesses use IP phone systems because they're generally much cheaper, give better flexibility and are very reliable. Any issues with lag etc will be extremely minor and remote so I wouldn't worry.

Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

@oldguy 

Can't say I've noticed anything over the past 4 months I've had DV.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Nor me.

As @NigelB72 says, its hardly new technology.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution
Many thanks for your replies gentlemen-appreciate it.