cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 23

Massive oversight by BT

Go to solution

So frustrating now having no home phone line after they converted me to digital voice!

did BT not plan that people may just have their own much better router than the smart hub?

what are you supposed to do if you don’t use one and using your own router.

a member of staff said to me last week that BT don’t like or want us to use our own router!?

im being sent two digital phones with apparently. I was told they cannot guarantee they’ll work with my router

I actually don’t have the smart hub 2 at home? I do have the previous hub with no mention of digital voice on the back.

I even asked if it’s possible to put the hub in modem mode or something and then plug that into my own router?

The staff were clueless and quite frankly extremely rude.  offering no workarounds at all or guidance.  Just kept saying they don’t support other routers etc on and on.

I have submitted a formal complaint about a member of staff who just spoke over me and when I asked to speak to management just kept saying no no no no over the top of me!

there must be some way I can use this hub and then connect the digital phones to that, somehow? 

seems my complaint has been closed but no feedback from it recieved. I hope they have spoken to the member of staff and reviewed the call! Utter disgrace 

0 Ratings
22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23

Re: Massive oversight by BT

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 23

Go to solution

@Singled5678 

The current phone system, PSTN, is closing hence why all providers are moving to their own VoIP type voice service such as BT's Digital Voice.

BT's digital voice will only work with their BT Smart Hub 2.

There's a few options if you want to continue using BT's home phone service.

1) use BT Smart Hub 2 as main router the use your own in conjunction with it. This involves double natting.

2) switch package to broadband only - this will remove the voice service. You can then use a third party VoIP provider. See threads if wanting to port number: 

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-phone-including-Digital/Post-Full-Fibre-Switching-to-SIP/m-p/228925...

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 23

Go to solution

@Singled5678 You're a bit late to the party, this subject has been debated about ad nauseum on the forum for a number of years.

There are workarounds, the hub doesn't have a modem mode but can be used in conjunction with third party devices in a number of configurations.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-phone-including-Digital/Digital-Voice-with-different-Router/td-p/20...

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 23

Go to solution

I know I work in telecoms lol!

I don’t accept this as being the solution.

there must be some way the smart hun can be used as a slave or modem Only and use that as a bridge between my router and the digital voice service?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 23

Go to solution

Thank you! Just as I was saying to the woman at BT.

you’d think BT would have more if a grip on this then if it’s been an issue for ages!!

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 23

Go to solution

It's not an 'issue', it is a deliberate policy of using a proprietary VoIP implementation that requires the use of the BT hub as the first connected device.

There is no way around that

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 23

Go to solution

It really doesn’t matter if you don’t accept ‘the solution’ , ‘DV’ is BT’s proprietary telephony offering, it requires the SH2 to be connected to use it , any BT broadband customer with DV who hasn’t had a SH2 previously supplied, should be provided with one .BT telephony isn’t compulsory, someone can have BT broadband without any BT supplied phone service if they chose , but if they want BT to supply a phone service it’s increasingly and will become exclusively Digital Voice .

As indicated there are workarounds , not perfect , but they do allow those that would prefer not to use the SH2 exclusively, but it does need to be part of the broadband service to use DV.

If it’s absolutely the case that the SH2 will not be incorporated, then the options are , remove BT telephony completely, or use someone other than BT broadband, that will allow third party routers to access that ISP company’s proprietary telephone system, but most mainstream will tie you to using their router for their telephone service, so it’s likely a standalone broadband service will be necessary and your own arrangement made with a traditional VoIP supplier.

If the no ISP supplied telephony is the way you chose to proceed but the existing phone number is required, then port that number to a ‘regular’ VoIP supplier and access it via any broadband service, however it’s possible that porting a phone associated with a broadband service to a VoIP provider could cease the broadband service at the same time, so some mitigation to cover the potential break in broadband service should be considered.

Message 9 of 23

Go to solution

Yep thanks for confirming there are indeed workarounds as I thought.

Nobody seems to realise this who I spoke with.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 23

Go to solution

Why would they, they are there to support BT products not offer networking solutions utilising products they have no knowledge of.