cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 21 of 29

Re: Successful number port

Apologies for the delay in replying Keith. The number was issued by BT when we moved into our house 25 years ago and since then we have only used either BT or Plusnet as the provider for broadband/voice.

If I cancel I would go back to PN with the same service I had before using land line copper and slow broadband, however, that would mean I could retain my number,

Surely all businesses will retain their number when the traditional land lines are phased out.

The FTTP install is tomorrow so watch this space..........

0 Ratings
Message 22 of 29

@KevG000 

Business customers are a different case, as they are moved over to Cloud Voice, which used IP phones and not the Smart Hub 2. This gives them far more flexibility, as they can keep their number wherever they are located.

I assume you are a residential customer?

Moving back to Plusnet is not going to help, as no orders can be placed for PSTN connections, as there is now a "stop-sell" on these, which is why Plusnet are migrating customers away.

0 Ratings
Message 23 of 29

Thanks Keith, 

That answers the question on the retention of numbers by businesses

Yes, I'm a residential customer. 

Having spoken with Plusnet they have advised they would pick up the service within a 30 day period if I was unhappy with BT?  Understand what you are saying re: new PSTN connections. Their retention comments to me when the migration to BT was suggested was that I could still take fibre from them but retain the land line? 

I'll have to cross that bridge if and when I need to within the 14 day cooling off period with BT

I'm just about to give BT a call as my understanding at this point is that the service needs to go live with BT before I can request a renumber to my existing number

Thanks again for your advice

0 Ratings
Message 24 of 29

Yes, you have to wait for the connection to go live with a new number to start with, then you can request a renumber, as you cannot have the same number "live" on two different networks, for obvious reasons.

I cannot see how Plusnet could retain the line, apart from the fact that once your fibre goes live, the copper connection is disconnected to be replaced by an optical fibre.

0 Ratings
Message 25 of 29

Hi @KevG000 Have you checked the order with BT to see what number has been assigned?

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 26 of 29

Heads up on an update to my FTTP install and retention of my land line number when moving to BT digital voice

I contacted BT the day before the install and was advised that my existing number was listed as to be ported over after the service had been commissioned as live.?! When I asked why I had not been advised this before he said he did not know.........

My existing number was ported over and available within a couple of hours of the service install. What was all the fuss about!?......;-)

Unfortunately the speed of the broadband is now an issue; I' m getting between 25 and 30% of the guaranteed speed. Sometimes it's only slightly more than when it was copper with Plusnet!

An engineer is booked in tomorrow to sort

Thanks to everyone on the community that replied when I was endeavouring to retain my existing land line number, with the migration from Plusnet to BT, much appreciated

0 Ratings
Message 27 of 29

@KevG000 

Its good that the number port went fine.

As for the speed, that is only guaranteed to the home hub, not to any of your devices.

Just in case you are not sure, you need to test with a fast PC directly connected to the home hub using an Ethernet cable. Wireless connections are not guaranteed.

0 Ratings
Message 28 of 29

Thanks Keith.  Appreciate what you're saying with regard to wifi signal depreciation from the hub. Optimum speed with the new fibre is 150Mb, guaranteed 100mb.

Sitting on top of the hub I'm lucky to get 28Mb. At times the signal is the same as the Plusnet service I used to have with copper (which was 10 to 15Mb). In fairness to Plusnet with their service and their hub the signal strength did not drop from the recommended speeds anywhere in the house so somethings not right.

BT did the line test and immediately actioned an engineer's visit from the results they saw. Due tomorrow morning at some point. Hopefully easily resolved.....

0 Ratings
Message 29 of 29

The fact that the speed is not much better, would tend to indicate that its the wireless device you are using to test, which is restricting the speed.

Is it possible to test using a direct Ethernet connection?

0 Ratings