cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 29

Migration to Digital Voice - no guarantee from BT retaining existing phone number

Looking to migrate from Plusnet (traditional landline) to FTTP Broadband and Digital Voice.

Plusnet have a deal with BT that enables me to move mid contract without termination charges.

Plusnet have confirmed by email that I would retain my existing land line number. When speaking with BT they said they are unable to guarantee retaining my existing number.

Anybody had the same?

This will be a deal breaker as I have had this number for more than 25 years and I need to retain it

I am unable to upgrade with Plusnet FTTP as they have no voice offering

If I'm unable to get assurance/guarantee of retaining the number from BT within the next couple of days I'll be cancelling the order

0 Ratings
28 REPLIES 28
Message 2 of 29

Re: Migration to Digital Voice - no guarantee from BT retaining existing phone number

@KevG000 

Welcome to this user forum for BT Retail phone and broadband customers.

It may be worth reading this thread https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-phone-including-Digital/Re-Successful-number-port/m-p/2321698#M9175...

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 29

Re: Migration to Digital Voice - no guarantee from BT retaining existing phone number

BT won't guarantee you will retain the same number but there is a high probability that you will.

Unfortunately, you are between a rock and a hard place. If you remain with Plusnet, you will lose your number anyway when the PSTN is switched off in 2024 if they don't intend providing a VoIP service.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 29

Plusnet and BT are owned by the same enterprise so unless Plusnet shut up shop it may just be a matter of time before DV voice is available from them. Worse case scenario I may have to cancel the order with BT and wait for Plusnet to offer DV to retain the number. They did guarantee retention of the number even with the move to BT

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 29

Thanks Keith. I've just read through the post that was on the link you sent.

My reading of it is that BT is not willing to guarantee that I will be able to retain my existing number which I've told them is unacceptable to me.

Having to wait for the service to be installed and live before I can even contact support to look to enable a 'renumber' to my existing number doesn't fill me with confidence.

What I don't understand is that Plusnet have given me assurance that the migration to BT will retain my existing number but BT are unwilling to do the same?

Without assurance/guarantee forthcoming I'll cancel the order before install and any kit is sent out otherwise BT will be asking me for money

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 29

@KevG000 

There is more to it that first appears.

Plusnet have their own equipment installed in some exchanges, which combine their own broadband with the PSTN network, I also think they have their own number ranges.

Once the PSTN goes, then there will be no point in Plusnet paying to have that equipment in the exchanges. Even now it does not make sense, which is why they are keen to offload their number ranges, which should be possible to migrate to BT DV, as its all done with software.

Their is no incentive for them to provide a phone service, as that will be provided by BT Retail. It would involve them in extra expense and new customer equipment.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 29

Thanks again Keith. I stand corrected as I always thought BT and Plusnet were owned by the same enterprise and so  used the same kit in the exchanges. I'll have to make a judgement call on cancelling the order with BT as although I may lose the number with the switch over to DV coming I need to retain the same number as long as I can

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 29

From what I remember a long time ago. The BT ADSL equipment at the time could only provide ASDL MAX, which was up to 8Mbs.

Plusnet, along with some other providers, rented space in some BT exchanges and installed their own equipment that could supply ADSL2+, up to 20Mbs. That gave them quite an advantage at the time, until BT installed newer DSLAM equipment, and then eventually migrated onto 21cn MSAN`s.

Later they simply used BT Wholesale connections, so you see there is a lot of redundant equipment now. 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 29

Re: Successful number port

Hi Robbie, I now have access to FTTP. My existing provider Plusnet  can't offer digital voice but said I could migrate to BT without any termination fee charge and that I could also retain my existing phone number (both confirmed by email)

On receiving the order details from BT I was advised to contact them immediately if I wanted to retain my existing phone number. I did so and was advised that BT could not guarantee that I would retain my number?

I have had the same number for 25 years and only both BT and Plusnet have been my broadband and phone provider in that time.

The lady I spoke with on support could not provide me any reassurance that my number would be retained and BT doesn't appear to have a dedicated team/person I can speak with to get this situation sorted.

It is important, having had the same number for so long that I can keep the number.

Can you point me in the right direction to get this sorted please? Any help much appreciated.

Kev

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 29

Re: Successful number port

Hi @KevG000 and welcome to our community.

Thanks for posting about porting your number. I've moved your post so we can offer some help here. Can you just confirm when the order is due to close?

Cheers

David

0 Ratings