Message 1 of 8

New Hub

Go to solution

I have been sent a new hub for the digital landline.As I no longer have a handset do I need to change the hub. My concern is that if I change over I will lose my smart meter and Hive heating connections.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: New Hub

Go to solution
Are you saying you pay for a landline service but don’t have a landline phone and don’t want or need a landline phone service.
You could continue with whatever router you have , obviously DV won’t work without a SH2 and you may get notified that you haven’t connected the new router , but you are paying for a phone service unnecessarily…however , getting rid of it ‘officially’ cause a break in service…..many customers when notified of migration to DV were offered the choice to remove unwanted telephony , were you not made that offer ?
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

A more interesting question would be that if you don’t have a handset, you presumably don’t need a phone service, so why are you paying for digital voice?

(If you hadn’t realised it, you can get broadband without digital voice.  The “phone” and broadband are no longer tied together as one service, although the cost difference isn’t spectacular).

I can’t speak for Hive, but my smart meter radio link to the in-home unit is totally separate to the Wi-Fi.  As far as I know that applies to all smart meters.

Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

No I don't think I was made aware of this thank you for letting me know .

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

No I hadn't realised I could still get broadband without the phone service

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

I will add that, like iniltous said, disinvesting yourself of the phone part seems to involve reprovisioning the broadband connection and there have been a number of reports on here of BT making a right rigmarole out of it.

Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks for that

Has anyone had a problem with reconnecting Hive heating after switching hubs ?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

when you change hubs I would change the SSID of the new SH2 to that of your existing hub and use same wifi password as existing hub and your wifi devices should connect as it nothing happened

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.