cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 21 of 27

Re: No Warning about DV Switchover

Go to solution

Some form of internet connection will be needed for any VoIP service to work so yes those without a broadband connection today that have a voice service delivered by the PSTN today will be moved onto some form of service that can deliver that Internet connection in order for VoIP to work.

This maybe via SOGEA, SOFTTP or even over the mobile network (using hybrid handsets that switch between the mobile network and connecting to hubs connected to fixed line broadband)

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 22 of 27

Go to solution

I haven't a clue what any of those initials stand for, but thank you for the information. Very helpful. 😀

One final question: You mention that these hybrid phones can work on a mobile network. Could I use them on an 02 network, for example, rather than BT, using an 02 SIM card, or does if have to be BT only?

0 Ratings
Message 23 of 27

Go to solution

@Anonymous wrote:

I haven't a clue what any of those initials stand for, but thank you for the information. Very helpful. 😀

One final question: You mention that these hybrid phones can work on a mobile network. Could I use them on an 02 network, for example, rather than BT, using an 02 SIM card, or does if have to be BT only?

See this brochure which has info about SO (Single Order) products on page 5 to 6 https://www.openreach.co.uk/cpportal/content/dam/cpportal/public/images-and-documents/home/products/product-withdrawal/wlr-withdrawal/documents/Getting_ready_for_the_digital_upgrade_to_All_IP.pdf 

The BT's Digital Voice Hybrid handsets are not yet released just some initial info on them looking at offering this as a solution to help migrate customers onto BT Digital Voice and to help in situations such as power cuts so no more information on them yet but I suspect BT will lock them to their own network but like mobiles can call 999 and emergency services over other mobile operators networks.

To note I think some other service providers offer similar hybrid handsets for their own VoIP (Digital Voice) service.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 24 of 27

Go to solution

Very interesting. Thank you 😀

0 Ratings
Message 25 of 27

Go to solution

@Anonymous  From what I understand if someone does not have broadband they will either be provided with a smarthub2 disabled so it can only be used for DV or an equivalent adapter.
Which ever it is it will then just be a case of plugging the existing phone into either the hub or adapter the same as anyone who has broadband and has been converted to DV.

Message 26 of 27

Go to solution

All very well, but what will happen if a current BT customer, upgraded to the expensive Halo 3+ finally gets his digital handset working and the power goes out. No broadband, no phone line. Surely that's going to be a problem when the subscriber is unable to ask for help with the emergency. Not everybody has a mobile phone nor the capacity to keep it going if the battery fails. All worst case scenarios but is a real "What if".

0 Ratings
Message 27 of 27

Go to solution

@BrianKiln wrote:

All very well, but what will happen if a current BT customer, upgraded to the expensive Halo 3+ finally gets his digital handset working and the power goes out. No broadband, no phone line. Surely that's going to be a problem when the subscriber is unable to ask for help with the emergency. Not everybody has a mobile phone nor the capacity to keep it going if the battery fails. All worst case scenarios but is a real "What if".

You are a bit late to the party. To save all the usual replies being posted yet again have a read of these threads and if you have a look through the forum you will find many more.

Digital voice and power cuts - BT Community

Digital Voice - Battery Backup Unit - BT Community

Solved: Telephone line switch off ? - BT Community