cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Outbound call barring - what is a "national" call?

Go to solution

Hi

I have Outbound Call Barring on a POTS BT phone line. If I were to use *342# it says it bars "national, international and mobiles".  But this does not seem to include local calls? Does "national" here mean just trunk calls?

If I use *341# it says it bars "almost all calls". Does that include "local" - same dial code?

(I know the obvious answer is "try it!" - but this is for my Mum in a care home and she is not able to do this sort of thing - so needs me to visit.)

Thanks

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Outbound call barring - what is a "national" call?

Go to solution

Chances are the guide was written ages ago and hasn’t really been kept current, it’s been years ( possibly decades ) since ( from a billing point of view ) that there was any difference between a local call and a national call ( a national call where the STD code was necessary, a local calls no code ,  just the phone  number , and adjacent area calls ( via a short code not the STD code  )

DV and quite a few PSTN exchanges require the STD  code for local calls as well as ‘national’ calls so it depends if the barring is sophisticated enough to realise using the STD code for ‘local’ calls is still a local call ( I suspect it will be )

….TBH , it probably is necessary to try ‘342’ and make a local call , ( using the STD code if that’s necessary  in your exchange area ) and then confirming connection, if it doesn’t connect then there isn’t really any difference between 342 and 341 .

FWIW , with BT plans , PAYG and unlimited, call baring is not as useful as it would have been historically, as a call to a mobile ,a  local call , or national number are the same cost per minute or included in the plan so stopping a ‘national’ call but allowing local calls  is somewhat redundant.

The primary reason for call barring was to stop expensive calls being made , and not a way to restricting a person from making calls for other reasons apart from cost .

AFAIK , there is a restriction where 10 numbers are allowed and no others .

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

@pgbj welcome back to the community, *341# will bar local calls.

The only calls it won't bar are as follows:

• 999 Emergency services
  • 112 Emergency services
  • 150 BT residential customer services
  • 151 BT residential fault reporting
  • 152 BT business customer services
  • 154 BT Business fault reporting
  • 144 BT chargecard
  • 0800 free numbers
  • 0500 free numbers 

All about Call Barring | BT Help

Neil

Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

thanks for the help!

I will go and try 341

0 Ratings