cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Performance with two routers for Digital Voice

Like a number of BT customers I am frustrated that Digital Voice will only work with the Smart Hub 2. I have been really happy with my Netgear Orbi setup for the last couple of years and don’t wish to go backwards to the SH2.

I’ve read the various posts on here explaining how to configure a SH2 in line with your preferred router. Not ideal as I understanding it introduces the issue of double NAT. Has anyone who has tried this setup had any noticeable performance issues?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Performance with two routers for Digital Voice

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

If you put the Orbi in bridge mode you won't be double natting.

Double natting is not really a problem although avid gamers don't like it.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Thanks for quick reply. If I do configure this way, I want the network coming from the faster Orbi, so can’t put it in bridge mode. I’d read that SH2 doesn’t have bridge mode, so can’t avoid double NAT?

I’m not an avid online gamer, so not a problem!
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

If you are not an online gamer, or have many port forwards set up, you won't know you are double natting.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

@Drscoity 

I've an SH2 to handle DV and my Asus DSL-AC68U does the rest. I don't game so can't comment about that side of things but it all works quite well in truth. The SH2 gets a better download speed than the Asus and that's a positive for me.

Message 7 of 7

I used my existing Netgear Orbi (which had been connected to a modem) with a SH2, using the Orbi in router mode. I had no apparent problems with using that set up. Unless you are a gamer I wouldn't worry about double natting.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings icon. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted solution’