cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 16

Re: Phasing out landline phones

The problem my parents have with mobile phones, is they are both 90, and end up touching a wrong button, both me and my sister have been trying for years to help them learn mobiles. Plus Dads fingers are stiff and he struggles that way. 

We ended up buying landline phones with giant keys, and put one in nearly every room for their convenience so they dont fall over rushing to answer the phone. 

I'm all for modern technology, I repair computers, but progression sometimes is steps backwards for older people who get left behind and alienated. 

My biggest concern is the power cut issue and the fact they would need communication at a time when they could be in darkness in their home. Plus they don't live near neighbours, its a big cottage in the country. So a phone that works could mean life or death. 

But thanks again 

Message 12 of 16

There are big button mobile phones too, like the Doro series. Some of them even have fall detection.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 16

You can get a desk type phone that used the mobile network. Costs about £50.

41CjiYNYgtL._AC_.jpg

BW 2.4'' Wireless Quadband GSM Classic Desk TelePhone telephone handset For Business or family (especially for older folk) - Black

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 16

@Roadhawks One thing that does not appear to have been mentioned (although I might have missed it) is that you can plug in your existing phones to the router (it will have green socket on the back to allow this. It is also easy to obtain a lead to go from your master socket ,once disconnected from the pstn but still connected to your extensions, to the router.  Your parents can therefore retain their existing handsets.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 16

Hi Roadhawks, I know your post is several months old but I certainly echo all your concerns. My mum was the same. I struggled with a DORO phone showing her what to do but she just couldn't grasp it. I'm in the same situation just with landline only. So my understanding is we will be ok? We will still be able to retain number and phone? But with some sort of adaptor? 

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 16

Your phone number will automatically be migrated to digital voice - you will not lose it.
And if your existing phone handset currently plugs into the BT socket on the wall, all you will need to do is unplug it and plug it instead into the green socket on the back of the Hub that BT will send you. There is no requirement for any type of adapter