cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Porting digital voice to another provider when you have BT FTTP

Hi All

We currently have BT fibre to the home and have a smart hub 2 and digital voice.

I want to get rid of the smarthub 2 but first I obviously need to move my landline to another VOIP provider. I want to keep the number but most providers offer a porting service so no problem there. We also want to retain the BT broadband service which is pricy but ultra reliable.

I have read a few articles that suggest that when the number is ported away from BT then the broadband will also cease but the info from various sources is conflicting, so I am left uncertain. I haven't called BT yet as while they are always helpful, they don't always have the correct answers and I don't want to end up in a muddle.

If someone could clarify for me I'd be very grateful.

Many thanks...

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Porting digital voice to another provider when you have BT FTTP

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

from other posts if you port your number to a VOIP provider that will terminate your BT broadband package.  you may be able to negotiate with BT to start new contract but broadband only this time but need to port number before ending contract

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Many thanks for the quick reply. I've just had nearly half an hour on the phone with BT. The lad on the phone was really helpful as always but I felt sorry for him as he didn't have a clue.

He went off to get advice from the Tech team and came back to say it just wasn't possible to port the number.

I said it must be as others have done it and it is offered by most VOIP providers so he went off again and spoke to someone else who agreed it is possible.

As for the contract implications, he says that BT are quite happy to move us onto a BB only package. It makes sense as it ties us in again for another 2 years. The problem of course is that we can't do that until the number is ported so I'm hoping the next person I speak to in a couple of weeks once the number goes accross says the same thing!

I've been with BT for 25 years and they never change. If you never change anything it all runs like a clock but as soon as you change anything it always gets complicated and usually goes awry!

Message 5 of 5

Hi there,

Wondering if you managed to sucessfully port your number to another provider and keep the same number? Which provider did you go with?

There is a lot of conflicting information!

Thanks

0 Ratings