cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Porting out BT Landline number to VOIP provider.

I've just (2 weeks ago) moved to FTTP with Digital Voice.

My network setup is all good, using my own router connected to ONT, and my own switch & AP.

I do not want to use the BT HUB or handset. So, I'm not getting incoming calls on the BT number. Is it possible to 'port out' my BT number to another Voip provider? If I do this will my FTTP account / service remain connected with no phone number? Or are they connnected? I've heard they might be and if I port it will 'cease' my service.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Porting out BT Landline number to VOIP provider.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

there is another recent post which we are still waiting the answer to your question

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-phone-including-Digital/Post-Full-Fibre-Switching-to-SIP/m-p/228791...

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

thanks for this! watching.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Apologies for jumping into an old thread, but I have a question if you don't mind. 

You say you have your own router pkugged in the ONT but have digital voice.  How did you do that? 

My understanding is (/was)  that BT insist on you using their SmartHub for DV ; your own router has to plug in the back of that and act dumber than Forrest Gump.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

@ChunkyTheCurmudgeon 

I don't think from reading post that @infinityuser had a working DV only they had DV hence why they wanted to port out their number and use their own router for FTTP

It remains that if you want to use DV then you need to use the SH2 as first connection to ONT

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Hi, just wondering if you got a resolution to this as currently in the same situation.

I understand it is possible but don't want to be hit with fees for ending contract early etc. 

I won't be ending broadband service from BT, just the digital voice aspect.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

@MartinBS 

as already posted on forum you contract currently is broadband and phone so if you want to terminate the phone and go VOIP that will cancel your broadband and could have termination fees.  you would need to contact BT and see if you can negotiate to start a new broadband only contract and avoid the termination fees

0 Ratings