cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 16

Re: Porting telephone number from FTTC to FTTP on Formby exchange blocked by BT

Go to solution
Yes it could but two different users saying its a BT or Openreach problem preventing the move. So much so Sky are refusing the order blaming technical issues of exchange problems just can't find out why? I under no illusion that it may be Sky but why refuse a potential sale? And how do I find out what the real issue is?
Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Message 12 of 16

Go to solution

There is no point in SKY taking new business with assurance that they can port the number knowing that it is just going to be unhappy customer when porting fails and they cancel looking for compensation.  Far easier to blame other ISP and decline business 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 13 of 16

Go to solution

@Liver_Diverwrote:

Common denominator all on same exchange but if moving to Sky they can’t retain number. But if on BT moving to BT FFTC TO FTTP can. Strange!

The reason they can retain on FTTC to FTTP is there is no number port involved in that scenario, the number is with BT and the broadband is updated, it's a change of BBEU and billing, the number remains with the same provider.

The common denominator is Sky unable to port a number from different ISP's.

Sky are nortorious for failed ports, this forum is littered with porting issues the other way, Sky customers moving to BT.

If BT were blocking number ports, then Sky and other communication providers would raise an industry complaint about it as it's not allowed, they do it all the time with adverts to the ASA, it's proper **bleep** for tat.

Next time you speak with Sky and they say BT have blocked it, ask for it in writing and see if they'll send that, I will bet they won't.

Message 14 of 16

Go to solution

Ok I'm starting to understand, interesting. You probably can't answer this but A guess would serfice. But I have sort of jumped to that answer and requested why in writing sky are having problems but now its explains why BT to BT is not a problem.

The question I have, well two. Please.

Q1. What would make it easier for sky to make sure porting number does happen .i.e. request BBEU from Plusnet or BT? Request why in writing Sky are having problems (in progress) or what?

Q2. Why would Sky refuse an order/sale saying they cant guarantee the number porting (knowing the number is needed for a terminally ill patient) and refuse sale of sky broadband, sky calling and sky stream/puck if something not more technical challenging or is this an honest sky agent? The move is from BT to Sky.

Q3. Sorry I lied. Why in this day and age and technology is the process not made simple. Given 2025 thers a lot of uses having to migrate to FTTP with the elderly or needed to Port numbers. Will the process be made easier or more streamlined. And if Sky are a issue should that itself not be addressed by a higher authority i.e Ofcom. Heaven help us all 

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Message 15 of 16

Go to solution

@Liver_Diverwrote:

Q1. What would make it easier for sky to make sure porting number does happen .i.e. request BBEU from Plusnet or BT? Request why in writing Sky are having problems (in progress) or what?

Porting comes with risks, there's never a guarantee, the porting process is an industry agreed way of working, Sky don't contact BT or any provider, a switch is 2 orders with the supplier systems, a provider raises an order to say they are taking over the line at an address, it's already working so that generates a cease with the losing provider, the order includes the port request to retain the same DN (telephone number).

ISPs are also not allowed to denegrate, it's bad practise and why nobody at Sky will confirm in writing that BT are actively blocking the port, it's incorrect and they are just pointing fingers, switching to another provider is gainer led, it's Sky's responsibility to ensure the switch, you never have to contact the losing provider, it's designed that way and has been for many years now.

@Liver_Diverwrote:

Q2. Why would Sky refuse an order/sale saying they cant guarantee the number porting (knowing the number is needed for a terminally ill patient) and refuse sale of sky broadband, sky calling and sky stream/puck if something not more technical challenging or is this an honest sky agent? The move is from BT to Sky.

BT also state the same, with porting there is no guarantee, any reputable provider will make customers aware before rasing the order, if it's a deal breaker don't go ahead with the switch, it's been an issue for years and only recently has the right to port been discussed, it's still for the gaining provider to arrange:

Richie_0-1692603431626.png

@Liver_Diverwrote:

Q3. Sorry I lied. Why in this day and age and technology is the process not made simple. Given 2025 thers a lot of uses having to migrate to FTTP with the elderly or needed to Port numbers. Will the process be made easier or more streamlined. And if Sky are a issue should that itself not be addressed by a higher authority i.e Ofcom. Heaven help us all 

It's not a new problem, it's been common for years, as previously mentioned there was never a right to port, it's a complex process with the number range holders and limited to exchanges, as we switch from the old analogue PSTN to a new digital network, things might improve, I can only guess as I don't know how different ISPs intend to address it.

I hope you get the answers you're looking for, I also hope you now understand the responsibility lies with the gaining provider, BT don't block number porting, they can't do it because the market is competative and doing so would be against competition rules.

Message 16 of 16

Go to solution
Thankyou
Tags (1)