cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

Re: Keeping existing number when switching to digital voice (OFCOM)

Go to solution

I have an outstanding order for BT Broadband Fibre and a change to Digital Voice.  I was advised to check with BT that my current landline number would change over to the new phone.  Of course BT seem to make it difficult for their customers to contact them by not providing email or a chat line,  but I rang the 0800 800 150 number as advised.  Eventually I got through to a customer adviser who did not seem to be very on the ball.  The answer if "yes, possibly maybe but I will have to check!"  Promised to ring me back and I am still waiting.

This should be something easily fixed by BT in their online ordering system.  It should either state "you will retain your current landline number" or provide a tick box giving the opportunity to retain the current number or otherwise.

Like somebody else has mentioned, they had their number for many years, as have we.  In particular our doctor, the hospital, surgeon, consultants and McMillan all ring us on that number, so it is important that we retain it.

Can anyone from BT confirm our landline number won't be changed?

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Go to solution

In the vast majority of cases , if BT instigate the migration to DV and the phone number doesn’t have any ‘history’ , like the number was imported from another provider, or was originally a BT number ported out to another provider and brought back at the around same time the DV migration was taking place.
if you are instigating the move to DV , rather than having it applied to you , then it’s wise to advise that there is a very small chance that the number will be replaced

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

@Basil-Brush 

I moved your post to start your own thread as the one you posted on was marked solved.  Normally as existing BT customer you should retain your number when moving to DV but it is never guaranteed.  there are numerous posts about it some moving without a problem and others no so lucky

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

We are long standing BT customers, who have stayed with BT over many years.  BT told us, we were moving to Digital Voice as part of our broadband upgrade, so I am mystified as to why we cannot keep the same number.  We are not changing providers, we are staying with BT. 

The other answer above says "you can retain the number" but it doesn't say how?  You say it might not be possible but why would that be the case, other providers make a point that you can retain your number?  Doesn't sound like great customer service to me?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

The default when moving to digital voice is that you will retain your phone number.

The move is normally straight forward and you will be given instructions what you need to do at your end. It is not difficult and only takes a couple of minutes of your time.

For any reason you can not keep your phone number you will be informed by BT.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

The easiest thing to do would be look at your order confirmation if you still have it as it will tell you the phone number. Chances are as an existing customer it's not changing anyway

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution
Thank you, that seems to be a positive reply. I hope that it is straightforward. I will post to let you know in December, after the change.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution
Thanks for your reply. Nothing is shown on our current correspondence but we haven't received any equipment yet. I will post again once the change has happened.
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

Well a quick update.  We were installed on time although a cable and the digital phone did not arrive in time for the installation.  Luckily the engineer had a cable and the broadband worked pretty much straight away.  Once the phone finally arrived it was a simple user task to connect and we did retain our original phone number.  It was only at this stage that we knew we were retaining the number.  The phone delay was as a result of the Royal Mail strikes, although knowing that, BT could have sent it by courier?

As an aside, it took quite a long while adding all our contacts to the phone from our old BT phone.  It is a pity there is not an easy way of transferring all the info, which I can do with my mobile phone.  Hopefully this is something BT can work on.

Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

Hi @Basil-Brush ,

Thanks for the update. It's great to hear you all up and running.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings