Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 1 of 16

Scam call from BT ?

Go to solution

Hello, this morning (11.50am) I received an unannounced call from 'British Telecommunications' (his words, not mine). He sounded foreign, didn't call me by name, just said 'Maam', even though I am male, and said he was calling because my phone line did not have not an adaquate broadband speed.

I was suspicious because the number he was calling from was my own local area code which is a rural area and I would assume calling from BT would have been somewhere from a bigger area, or maybe a Call Centre number? This made me wonder if it was a fake number. Is this possible? Would BT be calling from my own area code? Can scammers fake numbers and make it look like they are calling from a certain area?

Anyway, he said they wanted to check my internet speed, as BT weren't happy about it, and was going to give me some instructions. I told him I had not signed up to BT Broadband, but he said they wanted to check my internet speed regardless and was going to give me some instructions. I never gave him the chance. When I told him again I didn't have the internet he abruptly hung up, without saying goodbye.

Is this normal BT behaviour? Do you think it was a scam? Would BT be concerned about my phone lines internet speed even though I am not a BT Broadband account holder?

I would be grateful for any advice.

Thank you

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

Re: Scam call from BT ?

Go to solution

It's a scam. With the right software anyone can fake a number.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 3 of 16

Go to solution

Thanks @Dode . As soon as I came off the phone I thought I must check with the BT Community!

It felt very similar to calls I used to get from 'Microsoft', giving you instructions and telling you to 'switch on your computer' etc.

I haven't signed up to BT Broadband so I could see through it. I guess if there really was something wrong with my phone line with the internet, BT would be sending out Engineers to change the phone line when I sign up, not asking me to 'switch on my computer' and log into my PayPal account! 😂

Message 4 of 16

Go to solution

BT or Openreach will never give you an unsolicited call to tell you there is a problem with your Internet nor will any other reputable company. If you receive any unsolicited calls asking for access to your computer it is a scam.

See links

BT Scams | What you need to know to stay safe | BT Help | BT Help

Report a Scam Call | BT Help

How can I stop nuisance or scam calls? | BT Help

Message 5 of 16

Go to solution

& why on earth would a reputable co. ask you login into your PayPal a/c? Only to get you to pay money to somebody who does not deserve it. That in itself is the smell of a scam!

Message 6 of 16

Go to solution

Thanks everyone for the replies on here..

@Anonymous The advice the guys have gave you above is spot on.  This was definitely a scam.  There are so many scams nowadays and you can't be too careful.  We would never contact you and ask to turn on your computer; or log in anywhere near your Paypal account for that matter.  You did the right thing by disconnecting the call.  Thank you for remaining so vigilant.

P.S Check out the links that @gg30340 posted above for some very useful info on how to deal with these should you receive them in the future.

Thanks,

Robbie

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 7 of 16

Go to solution

I have checked out the links and have filled in the BT Scam report - thanks for that.

I hope others reading this thread will be viligant too.

Also, I could hear lots of noise in the background, as if he was calling from a busy call centre. So it must be a place full of scammers - or maybe he works at some sort of Call Centre and was pretending to be BT?

Thanks again 

😀

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 16

Go to solution

Background noises are usually faked as well. It adds a bit of authenticity to the call. Any unsolicited calls should always be treated with suspicion.

Message 9 of 16

Go to solution

The scammers set up their own call centres whose sole reason is to scam people.

Have a look at this guy and the many other people who are taking them on.

https://youtube.com/c/ScammerPayback

Message 10 of 16

Go to solution
Thanks, two calls in the last 24 hours from a withheld number telling
me that I have a problem with my Internet...from a call centre given
the background noises. I hung up on both occasions but unfortunately
I am unable to block a withheld or unknown number.
0 Ratings