cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 24

Re: Swap back

Go to solution

I am not being smug. I am being realistic with my replies to your post and while it is unfortunate that you have had a heart attack the reply I gave to your points still applies. 

It matters not they way your phone system is delivered, if there is a power outage on either system for what ever reason your phone won't work.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 24

Go to solution

Sorry to hear about the heart attack, but the answers given are not 'smug' they are a fact of life.

The availability of a copper line is no better than the availability of Digital Voice. Both are susceptible to faults.

In the 50 odd years I've lived at this address (out in the sticks both electricity and phone delivered overhead), the longest we have been without power is a matter of a few hours at a time, however, when a rotten pole decided to fall over we were without a copper phone line for over a week.

Message 13 of 24

Go to solution
There is still copper connected to my house. There are no backup batteries until the end of the year. I recently had a heart attack. I’m not having a hissy fit or a hypothetical argument. My service has been downgraded, putting my life at risk. There are many reasons I might not be able to make a mobile call, like I can’t find it. There are options like going to the ombudsman, leaving BT without penalty, you think about all this if you care to. I haven’t got time to fight with keyboard warriors
0 Ratings
Message 14 of 24

Go to solution

Please keep this thread updated with how you get on with Ombudsman or leaving BT without penalty.

Meanwhile I hope your condition improves and you keep well.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 24

Go to solution

We’ve had several power outages and no telephone line down

Copper phones carry their own power supply so are not affected by power outages, that’s the whole point of what I’m saying here

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 24

Go to solution

It hasn’t been solved

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 24

Go to solution

It’s possible because there’s copper to my house and everyone else’s in this village. Hell will freeze over before fttp gets here

Power outages happen a good deal and no pole or cable have been brought down in the 10 years I’ve lived here. Anyway, because one issue has no satisfactory answer that’s not a reason not to bother fixing another one

A freezer won’t save my life, abut a 999 call might

On the taking this forward, we’ll see won’t we? I’m not a lawyer so can’t point to anything. These things are never resolved until they’re tested. There are plenty of people without broadband in this country too and by definition almost, they’ll be vulnerable

think of this from a compassionate, humanitarian perspective rather than technical or economical

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 24

Go to solution

So, what happens when the equipment in the exchange, which is already life expired, becomes impossible to maintain?

It's not the copper cable being ceased, it is the PSTN (public switched telephone network) that is being shut down in 2025 by the way.

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 24

Go to solution

@marco63 wrote:
 There are many reasons I might not be able to make a mobile call, like I can’t find it. 

from your post you appear to have a working mobile phone so surely it is in your interest to carry the mobile phone and avoid having problems finding especially with your health problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 20 of 24

Go to solution

It’s not for me to come up with all the solutions for problems caused by BT’s changes of service - that’s their job. There are, as I say, a large (enough) number of homes in the country that do not have broadband, about 3% I believe. That’s not far short of 2 million people. Being told what? Being treated how?

If you can’t imagine a situation where someone temporarily mislays their mobile phone that’s a failure of your imagination

The thrust of comments here seem to be along the lines of ‘computer says no’ or treating me (and 180,000 other people) as unworthy of consideration. That my problem is my problem. Reasons why there can’t be any help. 

0 Ratings