Message 41 of 47

Re: UPS solution for ONT and SH2

Go to solution

Please see my Update to Philip. Thanks for your help. Matt

0 Ratings
Message 42 of 47

Go to solution

I don't know if it helps at this stage, but if memory serves, the plug on the old Home Hub 5 type A was the same size.  They pre-date when you had to return the equipment so if you can get one you could cut the lead off it.

(Note, not the type B - that was a different size).

Edit:  Forum rules don't allow me to post a link, but I see there is a replacement psu for the Smart Hub 2 available on Amazon.  Bit pricy just to chop the lead off, at £16, but do-able if you're desperate.

0 Ratings
Message 43 of 47

Go to solution

My next step is to cut the plugs off both units and connect the cables with a Wako 2-way lever connector to give me a longer lead to power the BT Smart Hub 2.

I am a novice here. I expect if I connect the wires with the white markings to each other, the black wires similarly this should work ?

Hopefully we shouldn’t get any more power cuts till next Winter, so in the meantime I intend to go back to Mains Power. Is this a good Idea ?

@Matt-Sussex While one would hope that connecting the wires with similar markings would be correct, I would want to double check with a voltmeter. As per the picture I posted earlier, the centre of the connector should be positive with the outer shell negative. It's a simple enough check to make.

The CyberPower unit is designed to maintain a 12V lead-acid battery to provide back-up power and to cut-over automatically in the event of a power cut - so I leave mine connected and on all the time.

Philip
0 Ratings
Message 44 of 47

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Message 45 of 47

Go to solution

A shot in the Dark !!

Do you think I could use a DC Power Cable Connector Socket, Female to Female 2.5mm x 5.5mm (from eBay)

to connect TWO BT SH2  3.00mm x 5.5mm Plugs.

Matt

0 Ratings
Message 46 of 47

Go to solution

@Matt-Sussex If you are hoping to push a 3mm plug into a 2.5mm hole I think you are optimistic🙄

0 Ratings
Message 47 of 47

Go to solution

I noticed that Kenable has adapter plugs for taking a 5.5 x 2.1 mm plug to 6.3 x 3.0mm as part of a set of 8  - I don't know if they would work for the SH2 (I don't have an SH2) but someone might like to investigate.

0 Ratings