cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 36

Use SH2 for digital voice and Asus router for wired / wifi internet

Go to solution

Hi all,

This has been asked before I think... digital voice phone while using other router.

Got 900 full fibre on Friday.  Also got ( unwanted! ) move to digital voice, and service on copper ended.

Currently use Asus AX86U as router for wired connections, AX wifi, AC wifi and  backhaul to Asus repeater which is wired to 8 devices ( Playstations, Sky Q, TV etc. ) mainly on static IP.

I know I need the SH2 in the network to use the DV phone.

Trying to put it AFTER the Asus router as a device with internet access.  As asus uses a 192.168.2.XXX network range I have given the SH2 a static address in that range, plugged into a LAN port on Asus and I can see the management page via the Asus... but SH2 does not get internet!  Turned on and off DHCP, set custom address range into the .2.XXX range and Asus sees that, and it remains set on SH2 after saving.

So far not got phone working as no internet seen by SH2 hub.

Is the proposed above possible / likely to work?

If I use SH2 as first connection from ONT and plug router in to SH2, will Asus still provide the network connections as currently ( SH2 DHCP of?  does it's IP need to be in same range as Asus or reset to .1.254? )

Not tried it yet but read I'd need to set Asus up as an access point not router ... but wouldn't that mean SH2 assigns the IP's to the devices?  Can I still use the 5GHz backhaul from the repeater?

Sorry for the long post!

Thanks for any help!!

0 Ratings
35 REPLIES 35
Message 2 of 36

Re: Use SH2 for digital voice and Asus router for wired / wifi internet

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 36

Go to solution

have you read this post

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-phone-including-Digital/Digital-Voice-with-different-Router/m-p/209...

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 4 of 36

Go to solution

@imjolly  Yes thanks, first page workaround needs some device i don't even know what it is!  As well as a router.

Don't think i got to page 27 though ... I'll read on.

Via Asus router or direct to SH2 I can access the SH2 management pages.. 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 36

Go to solution

@juiceof2limes @imjolly 

Thanks for the heads up and the great info @juice!

Read most of that thread, the info on page 26 was great, easy and quick.

So got the SH2 as primary connection to the ONT and then Asus AX86U next, kept same Asus net / IP range and all worked fine.. little or no speed drop !

Many thanks all

JL

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 36

Go to solution

Glad the info was helpful 🙂 

I've not noticed any speed degradation or other issues with SH2/ASUS setup this way either.

One other thing, if you need/use DDNS, then you can either continue to use it on the ASUS but changing the "Method for Retrieval" to "EXTERNAL"  otherwise it will pickup internal IP or you set it up on the SH2 and disable on ASUS.

I had moved it to the SH2 to do but noticed in the log that it appeared to be doing something odd and attempting to update NOIP every 15 mins approx even when IP had not changed. So I disabled it and went back to ASUS using EXTERNAL.

Martin.

Message 7 of 36

Go to solution

Struggling with move to BT DV and trying to follow the recommendation from back in 2020 from @choppyc (Message 3 of 400) https://community.bt.com/t5/Archive-Staging/Digital-Voice-with-different-Router/m-p/2105648#M1251296

---
We have a modern, super insulated house. Downside each room is effectively a faraday box due to foil backed insultation in walls/ ceiling. We have cat6 connections in most rooms.

We have a very successful set up.

We don't expect to get FTTH for another 24 months! We still have FTTC with copper connections to the house via telegraph poles.

This is our setup:

Openreach Master Socket -> ASUS DSL-AX82U -> all LAN connections terminate in a cisco 24-Port Unmanaged Gigabit Switch -> 7 AP connected as a mesh that provide WIFI connectivity throughout the house using backhaul connectivity via the LAN.

DSL-AX82U-8F68, IP Address: 192.168.50.1, Submask:255.255.255.0
PPPoE setup

This setup works really really well! Its been in place for about 18 months. VERY happy with it.

As some background, we were forced to go down the route of LAN backhaul connectivity as there is virtually no WIFI signal transfer from one room to another, so WIFI mesh networks that use one of the WIFI channels as the backhaul don't work! The only option was to put a WIFI access point in each room and use the wired (LAN) backhaul to the router. It works really really well.

BT have forced us over the last little while to switch to Digital Voice. We lost our dial-tone two days ago.  We want to keep our current telephone and BT landline number.

It seems the only way to maintain our landline with BT digital voice is to have the BT SH2 connected as the router.

I've seen so many different alternatives of how we use the existing set up.

The one complication is I really don't want to have the additional expense of having the alarm company sending an engineer back to the house to re-program the: Virtual Server / Port Fording setting and the DDNS that link the burglar and fire alarm.

I think the setup is

1) Openreach Master Socket -> BT SH2 ->
connect phone

Disconnect from BTSH2: WIFI and DHCP server. (login to BT SH2 192.168.1.254 go to Advance setting and turn off DHCP and wireless)

2) Openreach Master Socket -> BT SH2 -> ASUS DSL-AX82U

This is the part of the setup I am not sure about...

Logic suggest having disable the DHCP and WIFI in BTSH2 I plug the a LAN cable into ASUS WAN and the other end into BT SH2  LAN port 1 .... and that I need to set up on BT SH2 some sort of static link?  This is the bit I am fuzzy about and would appreciate some help...

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 36

Go to solution

If you wish to keep using the Asus as a router then you need to configure the ASUS and BT hub as 2 discrete sub networks. Luckily you appear to be using 192.168.50.xxx subnet for the ASUS. Give the ASUS WAN port a static IP address of 192.168.1.10 and gateway 192.168.1.254 and connect to a Hub LAN port.

Turn off WiFi and DHCP on the Hub.

Message 9 of 36

Go to solution

I'll give that a try tonight. 

ASUS must have experienced this as out of the box as it came defined not at the normal default of 192.168.1.1 but as 192.168.50.1!

I'll go dig out how I give the ASUS WAN a static IP of 192.168.1.10 and gateway 192.168.1.254

I assume in the BT SH2  all I need to do is deactivate WIFI and DHCP - I assume I don't need to do anything else.

@licquorice - many thanks, I will get back to you 

Peter

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 36

Go to solution

Yep, that should do it.

0 Ratings