cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 33

What changes with BT new voice over internet?

Go to solution

Anyone know where I can find a definitive list of everything that will change for my landline-only mother when BT force her onto their internet voice service later this year?

I haven't been migrated yet, but would like to understand what issues she is likely to face.

0 Ratings
32 REPLIES 32
Message 2 of 33

Re: What changes with BT new voice over internet?

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 33

Go to solution

@blackprince 

Nothing is going to happen for landline only customers, any time soon.

There are plans to deal with this issue, by the installation of equipment in the exchange, which will present the same service as the existing PSTN network, including a line power feed from the exchange.

This would not be available for new phone only customers, only to existing ones that have no broadband.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 33

Go to solution
Thanks for that. I was more looking for a definitive list of everything that will be different for someone moving from landline-only current service to voice-only new service. Is the only way to find that out for each of us to work through those 4 links and work it out for ourselves?
I was kinda assuming that someone, somewhere already knows.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 33

Go to solution
Thanks, Keith - so, is that definitely the plan now? And, as a result, existing customers without broadband will see no difference at all?
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 33

Go to solution

Ahh ok, gotcha!

There are also DV events held by BT that you can attend in person to ask them directly, here's a list of dates where and when they are showing up. This site is constantly being updated, so best to bookmark it and keep coming back for updates: 

Digital Voice Events | Digital Home Phone | BT

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 33

Go to solution

No phone only customer has been changed to IP telephony yet  ( as far as anyone knows ) and it’s most likely to be closer to December 2025 than later this year , the deadline is still well over 20 months away .
There are two potential ways a phone only customer could use IP telephony , either given a ‘free’ low bandwidth broadband service, that only has telephony capability, or as stated , one where the ‘broadband’ and the  ATA equipment is within the exchange building and nothing changes at the the customer premises.

BT have not made it clear yet , but the second solution is probably the one that will be rolled out.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 33

Go to solution

Yes, that is the plan, and I think its due to be trialled later this year. There was some information posted about this recently, but I would have to search for it, as it has a service designation.

The idea is to provide a seamless changeover. There may be a few issue with certain customer equipment that uses modem type signalling, as its still a VOIP quality service I believe.

Message 9 of 33

Go to solution
Super, thank you for the clarity.
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 33

Go to solution

I have been trying to make mky own list but may forget some of the things as not been moved yet.

1. Assuming you also have BT broadband you may need to be sent a new router Hub 2 (I don't have one) - my current hub will not take a landline plugged in the bag so I will need a free new hub 2. There are then consequences fr that - new router means new wifi log ins on all devices or to copy over old passwords etc etc.

2. You will plus the corded landline I have into back of new hub 2.

3.  When you dial eg from here in London instead of just 8 (I am outer London) I must add 020  before the 8, I am not sure if people dialing me after the change also have to use the longer code or not if they are within London and how I go about telling them all

4.  I tihnk the dialing tone may sound different.,

5. If you have BT call minder for which I pay with a customised voice recording of your own that requires a few steps and deciding number of calls before your own message cuts in - you kind of have to stop the BT new voicemail if you want to use your own.

6.  You cannot do what I do every day of the year - take phone off hook resulting in its going to voicemail when I pop out into the garden. Instead it will have to be left on whatever number of rings before voicemail you have it on - so I lose an option I use a lot there.

7.  The screeching sound when you take phone off hook will go

8. If you lose electric power you can't use phones so it is much less resilient particularly in times of national disaster ie worse.

[I fear it will be less reliable as my internet cuts out every day as do neighbours and no one can fix it yet my landline has never broken once in 30 years !!!!]

In general terms for everything I want it  will be worse and of course the price won't go down either.