cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 21 of 33

Re: What changes with BT new voice over internet?

Go to solution

Messages left on the DV answer service are indicated in exactly the same way as the PSTN answer service , the dialtone is modified ( modulated ) , you dial an access code to retrieve the message or messages , the same as you do now , retrieving a message costs the same as it does now , nothing .

I really don’t know what you hope to achieve by constantly posting the same misguided and incorrect nonsense , getting the same responses ( which is the differences are negligible, for example for many areas of the country it’s been necessary to dial the full number on PSTN for years ) , but undeterred , you add your comments again and again , now to such an extent that you are apparently an ‘Aspiring Expert’ 

Message 22 of 33

Go to solution

(deleted - misthreaded)

0 Ratings
Message 23 of 33

Go to solution

Nothing is going to happen for landline only customers, any time soon.

There are plans to deal with this issue, by the installation of equipment in the exchange, which will present the same service as the existing PSTN network, including a line power feed from the exchange.

This would not be available for new phone only customers, only to existing ones that have no broadband.

@Keith_Beddoe - Excellent if true and well done to BT for coming up with a solution. Though I thought the exchanges were going? At least that's what 'distinguished sages' such as yourself have been saying on here, I've not heard it from BT.  Also, I wonder if this solution for phone-only customers will still apply if they move house? And will 'Shared Metallic Path Facility' customers be treated as phone-only by BT?

0 Ratings
Message 24 of 33

Go to solution
"Even though I pay for BT callminder every month will I not be able to know if there is a message which dialing 1571 and incurring a charge?"
Yes you will be able to know - when you pick up the phone you'll hear an interrupted dial tone (rather than the usual continuous dial tone) if there is a message waiting.
And AFAIK calls to 1571 are free.
So no charges are incurred.
0 Ratings
Message 25 of 33

Go to solution

@Tim123 It's the exchange itself that is going, not necessarily the exchange building. The equipment required to provide an ATA would be independent of any existing exchange equipment.

0 Ratings
Message 26 of 33

Go to solution

As stated , the exchange buildings are not closing December 2025 , just the PSTN equipment within them , this exchange based ATA solution isn’t a forever solution, but enables IP telephony for phone only customers  in a way where the end user has no changes to their internal setup , but in the longer term , phone only will be a low bandwidth broadband connection requiring local power , the long term plan to  retire  the vast majority of exchange building ( over 6000 of them ) will take decades to complete.

0 Ratings
Message 27 of 33

Go to solution

@Tim123 

The solution @Keith_Beddoe and @licquorice are referring to is the Single Order Transitional Access Product (SOTAP)

More info on it here https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2023/11/openreach-launch-all-ip-solution-for-uk-adsl-broadband...

As stated it's only for existing customers and to aid with the move off the PSTN for those on ADSL or more complex cases.

Message 28 of 33

Go to solution

@jac_95wrote:

@Tim123 

The solution @Keith_Beddoe and @licquorice are referring to is the Single Order Transitional Access Product (SOTAP)

More info on it here https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2023/11/openreach-launch-all-ip-solution-for-uk-adsl-broadband...

As stated it's only for existing customers and to aid with the move off the PSTN for those on ADSL or more complex cases.

No they aren't referring to SOTAP - that is just the replacement for ADSL - they are referring to "SOTAP for Analogue" which is detailed here:

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2023/11/openreach-prep-alternative-uk-analogue-style-phone-pro...

Go to solution

No they aren't referring to SOTAP - that is just the replacement for ADSL - they are referring to "SOTAP for Analogue" 

@brookheather Yes, that's what I thought as I was struggling to relate the SOTAP information in the aforementioned links to a 'telephone-only' set-up.

If I've understood correctly, "SOTAP for Analogue" is a variation of SOTAP for those with phone and no broadband, while SOTAP is for areas without fibre. But will "straight" SOTAP also be available to current SMPF customers who don't want to change their dual provider set-up (such as my parents?). This from Openreach suggests that it would at least be possible: "There’ll be no engineering needed if LLU shared metallic path facility (SMPF) is already on the line – because it reuses the current LLU SMPF exchange equipment. We can still install it if there isn’t any LLU SMPF on the line (i.e. voice-only WLR lines) – we’ll just need to do some engineering work first."

Presumably the first sentence in the above quote refers to SOTAP, while the second refers to SOTAP for Analogue?

0 Ratings
Message 30 of 33

Go to solution

No , it doesn’t include SMPF customers, it’s for telephony only customers, someone with SMPF is self evidently not a telephony only customer, they have broadband from a non BT supplier , BT phone only customers using this solution will effectively be connected to BT Broadband equipment in the exchange, the is ATA ( analogue telephone adapter ) is also located at the exchange and the copper pair  delivers ‘DV telephony’  without having the customer changing thier existing set up at home , they don’t have a BT router at home because they are telephone only BT customers.

SMPF customers do already have a router at home , one delivering broadband from the non BT source, you cannot have BT broadband connected for BT DV and someone else’s broadband for ‘internet’ coexisting on the same copper pair .

When  the time comes , your relative will need to decide which provider to remain with , and which one to leave , AFAIR, it’s BT and EE in your case , and because BT as a consumer brand will disappear anyway , it makes the choice easy.