cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 31 of 33

Re: What changes with BT new voice over internet?

Go to solution

@iniltous Thank you. I was confused by these two apparently conflicting statements at SOTAP (openreach.co.uk):

"You can use SOTAP to provide broadband and internet protocol (IP) phone services, because it connects to your exchange infrastructure."

"It won’t include a managed phone service, or any associated calling and network features."

When they say 'IP phone services' do they mean "hard" VOIP, whereby customers use a wired headset plugged into their laptop/computer?

You're right about the phasing out of consumer BT making the ultimate choice for my parents somewhat easier. However, as BT and EE are in bed together, I fail to see why their phone and broadband products can't be mutually compatible with each others' routers, until the absorption of residential BT into EE is fully complete. Another option for my parents, if they really don't want to have both services with the same provider (until the aforesaid happens), would be to use one of EE's mobile broadband routers. Mobile broadband speeds are a lot better than they used to be.

Heaven knows why BT want to do away with their trusted, instantly recognisable and long-established brand, except for business customers. 'BT Sport', 'BT TV' and 'BT Shop' sound so much snappier and easier to say than 'TNT Sports', 'EE TV' and 'EE Shop'. And 'BT Sport' looked great on pub signs. 'EE' in particular doesn't exactly roll off the tongue! An utterly ridiculous commercial decision, even more so than the laughably bland and minimalistic logo they adopted a few years ago.

0 Ratings
Message 32 of 33

Go to solution
I dare say much work was undertaken, , it’s nothing more than my opinion , but the BT ‘brand’ whilst recognisable , isn’t particularly well regarded with younger consumers, possibly considered to be a bit old fashioned, whereas EE , or ‘New EE’ is probably a more desirable brand with these customers, plus decades of BT being pilloried would hamper any effort to rehabilitate its image, BT apparently will remain as a business brand .
0 Ratings
Message 33 of 33

Go to solution

Yes, where I live (In an area where a lot of us are in our 20s and 30s) I notice that BT isn't even amongst the top broadband providers here. It's all Vodafone, EE, Sky and TalkTalk.

Not trying to put BT down, because it's been excellent for me, but that's what I see around me.

0 Ratings