cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 41 of 72

Re: What happens to analogue phone line when switching to Digital Voice?

0 Ratings
Message 42 of 72

@Anonymouswrote:

I think it's been overlooked. 😀

Can you supply the source of this or is it a guess ?

BT have been around for a very very long time with over 10 million customers, they have invested billions in their services over the years, they've seen all possible scenarios and Digital Voice went through several years of development, unless you have a source for it being overlooked, I'll stick with BT knowing what needs done for a full rollout nationally.

Message 43 of 72

What exactly do you think a broadband compatible phone line is ?, the only real barrier to broadband working on any PSTN  ‘phone’ line (with a few technical exceptions) is line length , and given there is a point where even PSTN telephony won’t work if an address is too far away from the exchange, someone not getting DV because the location is simply too remote , probably wouldn’t get PSTN either.

DV doesn’t need a full blown broadband package to support it , OR have introduced a extremely small bandwidth (0.5Mb) broadband product specifically for DV,  the vast majority of ‘lines’ will support this reduced  broadband service and deliver DV , the ‘router’ supplied for DV only situations won’t be a proper router either  ( with WiFi , Ethernet ports,  etc ) but a cut down router that just provides a phone socket, so from the consumer point of view it’s just a box that the phone plugs into.

If someone that perhaps enquired about broadband previously, and were told they couldn’t have it ( because the predicted speed was going to be poor ) , or those that tried broadband and had it removed because it never delivered sufficiently decent internet access , will be able to have DV successfully, because the bandwidth required  on the cut down broadband that is needed by VoIP (DV) is tiny compared to regular internet access, typically 90-100 Kb/s is all VoIP needs.

0 Ratings
Message 44 of 72

I was forced to change to DV with very short notice, it was inconvenient as I have no phone near my router. BT supplied an adapter so that I could use my original phone over a BT adapter, unfortunately the performance is patchy and I sometimes lose calls. BT's "helpful" response is that I could  move the phone nearer to the router, while I accept this will work I would quite like my phone to be where I want it.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 45 of 72

It was announced by Margaret Thatcher in Parliament that BT Broadband would, at that time, only be available on compatible phone lines, due to a copper shortage. So there is your source.

BT know about this, as it's their own policy.

It sometimes gets forgotten though.

BT know our phone line doesn't work with broadband, so I guess some phone lines will have to be changed. 

0 Ratings
Message 46 of 72

Total and utter nonsense.

No idea why you think anything regarding technology in Margaret Thatcher's day is relevant now.

Message 47 of 72

@Anonymouswrote:

It was announced by Margaret Thatcher in Parliament that BT Broadband would, at that time, only be available on compatible phone lines, due to a copper shortage. So there is your source.

She's not been Prime Minister for 32 years now, since that time we've seen :

The first text message (SMS) - 1992
Amazon founded - 1994
Netflix - 1997
Google founded - 1998
Apple iPod - 2001
Android operating system - 2003
Facebook - 2004
Youtube - 2005
Twitter - 2006
iPhone - 2007
iPad - 2010

and so much more, do you honestly think these tech companies would exist if people had no internet access ?

At this point I'm not sure if you're trolling or totally out of touch with the UK's internet availability,, either way it doesn't change anything, the PSTN is going the same way as Buzby, it's been replaced and Digital Voice is the future, you take it or BT don't provide you a telephony service, there is no 3rd option.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 48 of 72

That's not a nice attitude to talk to people.

I'm just reminding you that a broadband connection appears to be required for DV and not everyone's phone lines have a broadband connection, as we haven't all signed up to BT Broadband, and so don't have compatible phone lines.

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 49 of 72

BT Broadband is only available on compatible phone lines. BT policy - not mine, so please don't bite my head off. And broadband keeps cropping up when talking about Digital Voice. 🤔

0 Ratings
Message 50 of 72

The solution to DV for those without broadband.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2020/02/openreach-reveals-price-of-new-0-5mbps-fibre-broadband...

0.5Mbps will work on any line from the cabinet.

0 Ratings