cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 51 of 72

Re: What happens to analogue phone line when switching to Digital Voice?

@Anonymouswrote:

That's not a nice attitude to talk to people.

I'm just reminding you that a broadband connection appears to be required for DV and not everyone's phone lines have a broadband connection, as we haven't all signed up to BT Broadband, and so don't have compatible phone lines.

What people not with BT have to do with this I do not know. If they're not on openreach services (only way I can think of for them not to have a so called "compatible" line then they're completely irrelevant in this discussion

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 52 of 72

Its relevant because some BT customers, like me, still have 1970's phone lines! Before broadband was invented! So of course there will be some issues with phone lines not working with Digital Voice. 

Lets wait until 2025 we know more then. 😁

0 Ratings
Message 53 of 72

I speaks to your total lack of understanding on this matter , that you think that if a ‘phone line’ was provided before ‘broadband’ was invented that it cannot possibly be used for broadband…it’s a pretty simple concept to grasp, traditional telephony is on its way out , VoIP will be the way telephony is delivered in the very near future, those that have no need of ‘internet access’ but do require ‘landline’ type telephony will ( even if they don’t realise it ) be provided with  a basic broadband connection for DV.

They will have no choice but to be migrated onto it ( if they want to keep a BT supplied ‘landline’ phone service) they will be given the date of the change , and an extra bit if kit supplied , that plugs into the mains , and told to take their phone out of the traditional phone socket and plug it into the newly supplied ‘box’ which is really a cut down broadband router ,and , hey presto, they are on DV.  
The ‘limited’ broadband product they have been supplied with is one that is of no use for  ‘internet’ access because of its limited bandwidth , but this limited bandwidth product will be more than capable of supporting VoIP telephony.

The overwhelming majority of existing copper pair lines ( from the 1970’s or even earlier) are more than capable of delivering this service , there is no need to wait until 2025 to establish that, there is no practical difference between a copper pair installed the 1970’s ( or the decades before that ) to a copper pair provided today…if someone doesn’t have this limited broadband now , they will be provided with it to enable them to use DV telephony, BT may even ‘help’ with the installation of the ‘router’ for some ‘vulnerable’ groups of people, but for most it will be self installed, it’s hardly rocket science after all.

The only issue with DV ( and VoIP in general ) is unlike the plain old telephony system that’s being retired, is that it needs a power source at the consumer end ( for the broadband router) whereas the current phone system doesn’t, so local power outages stopping the phone service working can be a concern for some ,but  your  claim that there are   ‘ incompatible lines’ is simply wrong, obviously there are lines without a current broadband service …they will be provided with a limited broadband service as and when they are put into DV ( but everyone will be on it before the end of 2025) 

As already said , if someone has been told that their line cannot have ‘broadband’ , that was on the assumption that the broadband service would be needed for internet access, the reduced bandwidth broadband needed for DV will work on those lines , because it’s only VoIP that it will be used for .

Telephony only customers will be the last group to be moved onto DV , so probably don’t need to concern themselves with this for a couple of years anyway

Message 54 of 72

Great explanation @iniltous. Anyone capable of achieving a post here should be able to understand it if they have the will. 

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 55 of 72

I keep hearing about BT customers, as you say, being provided with a 'broadband service' to use with Digital Voice?

Where is this 'broadband service' to make DV work actually coming from then?

You can't plug in a router and expect it to work. It doesn't work like that! Many people's phone lines will need to be changed with a decent line that is 'compatible' for an adaquate broadband connection. It's not my fault you didn't know BT Broadband was only available on compatible phone lines. No one will want that. It will cost the taxpayer. It won't be a simple case of handing out routers for many people. Changing the UK's phone lines will cost.

Will I, as a BT customer for over 40 years, be provided with a fibre-optic line that I can use to make phone calls with? No. I have to pay for them. Will my telephone line be changed. No. They are only handing out routers, according to what you are saying.

Has there been any advertising on the telly about switching off phone lines? No. Only adverts for smart meters.

It's all been kept under the carpet, because BT know that DV will be deeply unpopular with the public. Telephones have been self powered since their invention - having to plug them in, in a electric socket that is no where near the phone socket is something BT haven't thought about!

Fridges and freezers that are switched on 24/7 are wired into special boxes in your kitchen that are meant to be left switched on. Ordinary UK mains sockets are supposed to be switched off at the end of the day, with things plugged in them, as electrical items can overheat the sockets and cause them to melt. It's a safety hazard. They are not supposed to have things plugged in them permantly, like fridges and freezers.

I switch things off at night. So will miss important calls. 

So that's progress is it!

0 Ratings
Message 56 of 72

Sorry but you really are totally clueless, you have absolutely no idea about what you are talking about.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 57 of 72

It's ignorance. Do you even read the Health and Safety page when plugging in electrical appliances?

🤔

0 Ratings
Message 58 of 72

@Anonymous according to Thinkbroadband only 0.38% of the UK can only get a broadband connection below 2Mbps. See https://labs.thinkbroadband.com/local/

Over 97% have access to fixed line speeds above 24Mbps.

If there's a Openreach product availabile to you that can supply a fixed line broadband connection you be that SOGEA, SOFTTP, SOADSL/SOTAP you will be moved onto that.

Out of curiosity what does https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com for you address?

More broadband availablity checking can be done on the following links:

https://checker.ofcom.org.uk/en-gb/broadband-coverage

https://www.openreach.com

Mobile broadband connections are also available too and VoIP can be delivered via that .

Also to remind you of timelines of the closure of the current phone network, PSTN/WLR here a image from the Openreach website:

Screenshot_2022-09-23-13-33-19-53_e2d5b3f32b79de1d45acd1fad96fbb0f-min.jpg

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 59 of 72

I would be able to tell you if I understood it? Which bit should I be looking for to tell me my broadband speed?

0 Ratings
Message 60 of 72

@Anonymous go to https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/

Either by Address or phone number (if recognised)

Below example if via address

Click on the menu icon and choose Address Checker.

Enter postcode

Click Submit

Select Address

Click Submit

A table should then show such as below. Copy and paste or take print screen and attach as image.

As an example of the results

Screenshot_2022-09-23-13-43-06-94_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12-min.jpg

0 Ratings