cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 24

Re: Why Won't BT Allow Plusnet and EE to Provide Digital Voice Service?

Go to solution

I have no idea what your point is. Companies are free to choose what services they provide and what they charge for them. It's called market forces in a free market economy.

Message 12 of 24

Go to solution

'Companies are free to choose what services they provide and what they charge for them'  It is a pity when what they offer is wanting. Arguably more equitable and attractive offers might attract more customers, but who knows.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 24

Go to solution

I am with Plusnet with 1 of my mobiles and just took up the deal to switch to EE. Interestingly they said I could switch my Plusnet Broadband to BT for the same price and get an extra 20% discount for being an EE customer. When I said I had only just switched from Sky to Plusnet they said BT would buy me out of my Contract up to £300.

So in about 6 months it would be worth doing.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 24

Go to solution

@Bhaiv - Surely Plusnet and EE will, eventually, launch their own versions of Digital Voice? In which case, you should be able to swich provider for your phone service and port your BT number over to them.

You're right about people wanting to stick with what they know. My parents have their phone with BT and broadband with EE, and have done for many years (since EE was Freeserve > Wanadoo > Orange). Apparently the option to split providers in this way will no longer be possible after digital switchover. BT don't mention this on their website, I only found out from some of the more knowledgeable posters on this forum. My parents are less than happy about having to choose between one provider or the other for both services. As BT and EE are now sister companies, I can't see why the two routers wouldn't be able to work together. Surely it can't be that difficult for them to arrange?

Message 15 of 24

Go to solution

As already stated , EE will become BT Groups mass market ( consumer ) brand , BT will be the business brand and Plusnet probably will be allowed over time to disappear.
SMPF ( shared metallic path facility ) isn’t possible on FTTP for a pretty obvious reason, there isn’t a metallic path to share , and the number of consumers still on SMPF , (where the consumer gets two bills , one from their telephone supplier and one from their broadband supplier both delivered over the same copper pair ) is vanishing small.

SMPF  on copper is a legacy arrangement , and not really available to any  ‘new’  customers,  even if there is no FTTP yet , and the copper pair will be used to provide service,  if the consumer want a landline type phone service and broadband, unless they use a traditional VoIP supplier, then the same company will supply both services on one bill.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 24

Go to solution
'. . . Plusnet probably will be allowed over time to disappear.' That would be a pity. Plusnet generally receives good reviews and has loyal customers. I has been a good value option for consumers.
0 Ratings
Message 17 of 24

Go to solution

It will be worth seeing how the BT Group's brand reorganisation of services and products pan out but for now EE doesn't offer Digital Voice and seems to be focusing on broadband-only products (especially when moving to full fibre). I think if you want to keep the voice service when moving  to full fibre they move you to a BT Consumer broadband package for now (but if anyone else knows please correct me)

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 24

Go to solution
When they first started talking about phones going digital, the word was, no worry your ISP will sort you out with a little box, but the current reality seems to be only Sky, Talktalk, Vodafone and BT (and Virgin) will do so. BT charges you an extra 5 gbp per month for the privilege.
0 Ratings
Message 19 of 24

Go to solution
Not sure of your point , BT stand-alone broadband is £5 a month cheaper that the equivalent broadband with an included IP phone service, if other Telcos don’t offer IP telephony ( currently Talk Talk don’t offer telephony on OR FTTP ) or don’t have a reduction for not taking telephony that’s up to them
0 Ratings
Message 20 of 24

Go to solution

EE aren't even pushing their own Broadband let alone DV now, having had to Chat or Call them over Mobile stuff they keep asking if I have considered switching Broadband Provider and said BT will buy me out of my current contract (up to £300) but the offer is by invitation only.
So it looks like the group will be EE for Mobile and BT for Broadband but I'm not sure where Plusnet will fit?

Tags (1)
0 Ratings