cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 17

Will digital voice work if I dont have a BT fibre connection to the internet ?

Go to solution

1. Will BT digital voice work if we don't have a BT fibre connection for fast broadband - only a BT Home Hub 4 for broadband?

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17

Re: Will digital voice work if I dont have a BT fibre connection to the internet ?

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 17

Re: Will digital voice work if I dont have a BT fibre connection to the internet ?

Go to solution

@lucinda1 wrote:

1. Will BT digital voice work if we don't have a BT fibre connection for fast broadband - only a BT Home Hub 4 for broadband?

Digital voice will work with any version of broadband, it won't work with a Hub4 however. If you are moved to Digital Voice, you will be sent a Smart Hub2.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 17

Go to solution

Thanks for that.

A couple more questions please:

1.The valley we live at the bottom of in north Essex has a very poor broadband signal -about 1 MPH! Will BT Digital Voice be able to work satisfactorily under these circumstances using the Smart Hub 2?

2. We are just about to move just our broadband service  to County Broadband fibre to get faster speeds but we want to remain with BT for the telephone service and will swtich to  Digital Voice when it arrives in a few years. Would the quality of BT Digital Voice work better if we already had the County Broadband fibre installed in the house?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 17

Go to solution

@lucinda1 wrote:

Thanks for that.

A couple more questions please:

1.The valley we live at the bottom of in north Essex has a very poor broadband signal -about 1 MPH! Will BT Digital Voice be able to work satisfactorily under these circumstances using the Smart Hub 2?

Yes, DV only requires about 64Kbps

2. We are just about to move just our broadband service  to County Broadband fibre to get faster speeds but we want to remain with BT for the telephone service and will swtich to  Digital Voice when it arrives in a few years. Would the quality of BT Digital Voice work better if we already had the County Broadband fibre installed in the house?

BT Digital Voice won't work with a third party broadband provider, you would need to use a third party VOIP provider for voice service.

Message 6 of 17

Go to solution

you need to use BT SH2 for digital voice and as hub locked to BT that will not work with your new ISP

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 7 of 17

Go to solution

Your answer has solved my question in minutes whereas I searched on the internet for hours with no conclusion about whether we needed a fibre connection. I am mightily relieved. Thank you!

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 17

Go to solution

If you are joining another provider for broadband , do you intend to keep your BT line with broadband on it or revert to it being just a phone line ?, if it’s just a phone line ( after all, why pay for 2 broadband services) then it will be quite a while before telephony only lines are moved to DV ( probably the last group of customers , and the PSTN switch off is end of 2025 ) , if you keep BT broadband on your BT phone line then should you be moved onto DV , then a replacement router ( SH2 ) will be provided, as that is needed for DV.

If you have broadband from another provider, its irrelevant to DV , that broadband supplier may or may not offer a phone service with their broadband but it won’t be anything to do with BT DV 

Message 9 of 17

Go to solution

Thank you for adding that point into the equation.

I understand County Broadband will defer payment for their services for up to one year if you already have another locked into another contract for broadband but from what you say it may be some years  that we would be paying two broadband contracts unnecessarily , the BT contract just  in order to get the BT Digital Voice phone.

This could have some bearing on the situation!

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 17

Go to solution

I would suggest that the way to do it is firstly sign up to the new provider without cancelling BT. That will ensure that you maintain service in case of any unforeseen circumstances & also retain your phone number. Worth paying or two services for a month.

Once the new service is up & running you can then port your phone number to a VOIP provider. That process will automatically cease your BT broadband & phone.

If you have an alarm or anything else that uses the phone line you will need to make provision to ensure that works on VOIP before committing to the transfer.

Just out of curiosity, are you next to THE bridge?