cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

Your Digital Voice service will be up and running

Hi

About once a month I receive an SMS like this

"Hello, BT here. Your Digital Voice service will be up and running by 23:59 tomorrow (10-Oct-2022). It can sometimes be up to 48 hours later, but we'll let you know when it's ready to use."

This is the 9th time I've been given a date for Digital Voice and a series of SMS. The first several times I even got a paper copy.

No Digital Voice ever materialises, there's still an order open on my account.

I am all up for retiring the POTS network, but I don't give a monkey's about landline voice, I've never used this line to make a call, I don't have a handset. If they're having problems making mine digital they're welcome to turn it off, I'll keep paying the same rate for broadband only.

When I advised Customer Care of this, they took it as a request to change to a (more expensive?) broadband only plan and said I could only apply for it once the order on my account completed. That was in May.

Anyone else having this? Any idea how to make the stupid updates stop? I'm concerned the existence of an open order will mess things up at contract renewal time.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: Your Digital Voice service will be up and running

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

Presumably the messages will cease eventually, meanwhile if you're using an Android phone and it's just the continual SMS notifications which are annoying you, you called always mute notifications for that number. If it goes beyond that then you can add the number to your contacts list and block it. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

Yeah I thought they'd eventually go away too but it's been going on since March. BT's last attempt to improve things halved my speed guarantee, so I'd quite like them to just leave it alone!

Unfortunately these ones don't come from an actual number but from "-BT-" so the mute/block/reply STOP options aren't available. Not can I reply to engage customer care.

The only options seem to be messaging here, or raising a line fault, neither of which really fit.

For the first few attempts they also sent me a barrage of messages from +447520652012 as well, I was able to stop those via the normal methods.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

Is it an Android phone?

I've just tried on mine (which uses the Google Messaging App), long press on -BT- in the messages list and then the menu symbol (3 stacked vertical dots) and one of the options available to me is 'Block'

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

Samsung Messages app

No, doesn't have the options either after pressing contact name, or the ... menu 

Normal SMS from real numbers have these options

RCS messages have a slightly different set

Messages from fake origins like -BT-, My3 or Dominos don't have options.

How do I contact BT to stop spamming me? I have opted out of these messages so this is illegal under GDPR. They cannot claim they are service messages as the service never arrives.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

How do I contact BT to stop spamming me? I have opted out of these messages so this is illegal under GDPR

@Andrew638484  Try https://www.bt.com/consumer/edw/privacypolicy/marketingpermission/bt/#/

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

I already did this when I signed up

I appreciate people are trying to help, but it might be best to stick to my questions rather than explaining how SMS works.

1. Has anyone had this same issue, is it common to get informed of the same non-service 9 times?

2. How to raise a complaint given the complaints from only has narrow categories and is biased to technical faults.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

I can see I'm not going to convince you so I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Screenshot_20221009-165422.png

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

I have notified the moderators of the forum about your problem. Once they have read this they may be able to help. They are very busy at present so it can take up to 48 hours for them to contact you. They will do this by posting on this thread.