cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 14

digital voice PAYG charges

I was given a digital voice as BT decided to cut off my copper wire connection some time ago. I never use this but & see I am being charged £5.72 a month for calls PAYG. I am unable to query my bill on the website - it just takes me round & round. Any ideas to contact them , other than spending hours on my mobile answering nonsense like where my granny went on holday 30 years ago?

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Re: digital voice PAYG charges

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 14

the cost of calls on PAYG is same whether on fibre or copper connection

How much do BT calls cost per minute?

UK call charges
Calls to Rates
UK* landlines 26.12pΔ/min
UK mobiles Standard 26.12pΔ/min

it was not BT Retail who decided to stop calls on your copper line but openreach which has been covered in numerous posts on the forum if you use search

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 14

You now have to pay a fee for the ability to make PAYG calls, even if you don't make any. It was £5pm & what you're now being charged sounds about right after the March increase.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 14

Being pedantic, you are actually paying for the ability to receive calls. I.e a phone number.

Message 6 of 14

Ok, I get that, although this wasn't made clear. As I don't use it, in fact it's never been plugged in, how do I cancel it?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 14

As stated you are not being charged for PAYG function , don’t make calls , there is no PAYG charge , that is free , what isn’t ‘ free ‘ is the telephony service attached to your broadband , if you want a broadband only service ( so no phone number allocated , no incoming calls , no free 0800 type calls , no 999 emergency calls , no option to make PAYG calls if you wanted to ) then an effective discount of £5 ( £5.72 ) on your broadband is available by removing telephony entirely, if you don’t make calls and don’t want to have a landline number others can call you on , ask for your service to be changed to broadband only .

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 14

from other forum posts there is currently no facility that allows you to just cancel your ability to make/receive call without cancelling your existing broadband/phone contract and starting another broadband only contract.

the sooner BT get some system in place to allow customers to cancel phone facility while maintaining existing broadband contract the better and will save a lot of unhappy customers

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 9 of 14

@simonriddler 

When you go with an energy supplier you pay for the gas & electricity & then you pay a standing charge for the infrastructure that brings you your gas & electricity even if you don't use any.

Your telephone service is exactly the same.

Message 10 of 14

So how do I do this? I can't see any option to cancel on the webpage?

0 Ratings