cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 18

keeping an important landline

Go to solution

A relative of mine who is elderly , disabled, vulnerable and lives on her own has a personal alarm system that connects via the LL to a call centre . If she needs help in an emergency,  It dials out if she presses the button on the unit, or the pendant she wears all the time. 

Does anyone know if BT have taken these systems into consideration if and when the landlines cease to exist, or will a device be provided so that the alarm system will integrate into the BB that she has at the moment.

thanks for any help and guidance

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18

Re: keeping an important landline

Go to solution

if only a phone customer they will be last to move especially if vulnerable person

have you asked the alarm company what they have done to allow pendant to work on DV as they have been aware of the changeover for years

is your relative registered here   https://www.bt.com/content/dam/bt/help/including-you/BT_Free_Priority_Fault_Repair_Scheme.pdf

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 18

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply and information provided.

i will get on to the alarm company about their upgrade , if there is one.

And the link you have provided for priority care for faults is great. 

Regards

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 18

Go to solution

At the end of the day, BT provide a telephony service, it is incumbent on manufacturers to ensure any products they provide are compatible. It is not the responsibility of BT to do so.

I'm sure they will be on top of it.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 18

Go to solution

@circuitbender 

If she has ADSL broadband, then its likely to be some time before Digital Voice is implemented, depending on her exchange closure plan.

The problem I can see, is that a lot of vulnerable customers with broadband, may not be aware of an imminent change to DV, especially if they do not understand any prior warning messages.

The first thing that they will notice, is that their phone or alarm  stops working.

Most alarm of the type you describe, will work just fine once they are plugged into the socket on the Smart Hub 2. But its going to need someone to actually do that, and some of the providers of those sort of alarms will insist its the responsibility of the customer to provide a suitable phone line.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 18

Go to solution

Sorry @Keith_Beddoe , I take issue with that. The onus is 100% on the alarm company. No Telco can be expected to ensure every supplier of alarm can be used with their service.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 18

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply . The relative in question has broadband and Landline with smart hub 5 or 6 ( can’t remember)

I can certainly re-route the pstn  plug from alarm box to the BB router, but where would it plug into on the router, if it’s like my router , there’s just the 4 x Ethernet sockets and usb

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 18

Go to solution

The Smart Hub2 has a phone socket at the rear. An SH2 will be supplied before switchover

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 18

Go to solution

ok, that’s interesting, 

im not sure if the alarm box in question dials out using loop disconnect pulse dialling or DTMF ? will the network support both formats of dialling do you know ?

Thanks 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 18

Go to solution

@licquorice 

Some are supply only on a monthly subscription, and you are responsible for making sure there is a working phone line that does not block the outgoing CLI.  The user has to make test calls to ensure its working properly. My late father had one via Age UK, and that was self install, and they were not responsible for the end user connection.

It was quite some years ago now, and I see they now have one that does not require a phone line.

0 Ratings