cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

BT Broadband / Netgear Nighthawk XR1000 Issues

Good morning all. I’m hoping for some advice. I have upgraded to full fibre 500 with BT and have the netgear nighthawk xr1000. It appears to be working in some fashion but the speeds are fluctuating alot. I have plugged the nighthawk directly into the small box fitted to the wall (pic attached) by the installer. Does this box act as a modem or is this what’s causing my problems I have read online that people are suggesting you get a BT OPENREACH HG612 modem and connect this between the box on the wall and the nighthawk router. The dumaOS is also coming up with errors and i am wondering if this will resolve the issues. Any advice welcome. Thanks in advance. 

180D3B3C-9491-4807-852A-A9314D6C0744.jpeg

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT Broadband / Netgear Nighthawk XR1000 Issues

That 'box' is an Openreach optical modem (ONT) which you just connect your Netgear directly to. The HG612 is a copper modem for VDSL lines and is not required.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Thanks for the heads up. So I don’t need anything else between the ont box and the router? Not sure why the dumaOS is showing errors on geo filtering and the speeds fluctuating. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

@Flip112 wrote:

Thanks for the heads up. So I don’t need anything else between the ont box and the router?

Correct

Not sure why the dumaOS is showing errors on geo filtering and the speeds fluctuating. 

No idea, I'm afraid

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Thankyou for taking the time to reply. Much appreciated. I am going to make contact with netgear later today but wanted to check regarding the modem first. 

thanks again👍🏻

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

You will get speed fluctuations as you are sharing your backhaul connection with other users, you do not have your own personal uncontended connection.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

I understand that some fluctuations are normal but this is going from 90mb/s to 500mb/s then back to 120mb/s then 250mb/s and so on. Seems erratic to me. Thanks

0 Ratings