cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 17

Re: BT Complete Disc Wifi

Go to solution

But this doesn’t seem right? Why is 900Mbps being advertised then? I’m struggling to see why it’s a thing when their proprietary discs should be able to handle it being that it is BTs own engineering (discs for which I have to pay extra £5 per month on top). The thing is, these discs seem pretty useless then as the signal is usually always poor why not just get routers and set them up as repeater mode using DDWRT? A mesh system as I understand it should’ve been faster than repeater modes within DDWRT

- all this to say 900MBps being advertised and I’m not even getting 1/10th of that seriously feels scammy especially since I’m at the maxed out package paying full premium. Sure wireless connections reduces throughout but I should be getting atleast 10% at 90Mbps at the VERY LEAST. Again paying monthly extra for these useless discs when DDWRT does the same job.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 17

Go to solution

900Mbs is advertised because its what people seem to want it, thinking it will make their devices work faster. The reality is that the devices they are using, is what is slowing their connection down.

Personally I do not think the Complete Wi-Fi System is a full mesh system, its more like a number of wireless repeaters, and is not in the same class as something like this https://www.tp-link.com/uk/mesh/

I just have a 10Mbs ADSL connection, with just the two of us in the house, and use this mesh https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/deco/deco-m4/

This is the one with just a 100Mbs interface, which is plenty fast enough here.

This works very well with multiple devices, CCTV etc, and gives seamless roaming all over the house. You can view it all on an app, and it shows each device, and its connection strength.

You may be better removing the complete Wi-Fi option, and returning the discs, to avoid being charged for them.

Then investing in a third party wireless mesh solution, if that is what you want. Otherwise you may be better off just adding extra wireless access points, each on a different wireless channel, much like commercial installations do.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 17

Go to solution

Honestly I think I need to start contacting OFCom, I joined BT a few months and nothing but problems, paying full premium and can’t even get basic discs working because the BT disc does not know how to connect other discs with stronger signals and instead only connects to the main hub or loses connection.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 17

Go to solution

BT is an actual scam, support is not helping either

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 17

Go to solution

I think you will find that most ISP forums have the same complaints.

There is not much money to be made in just providing a basic broadband connection, its Value Added Services where the main profit is made. Things like TV services and extra network enhancements.

Remember, BT Retail and many other ISPs, are paying Openreach for the provision and maintenance of the external network, so a proportion of what you are paying, goes to them.

It used to be called Line Rental, but is now included in the cost of the broadband.

As for support, you are probably more likely to get more detailed support on this user forum.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 17

Go to solution
zzz1234567abc: "This is a complete load of bs unfortunately"
This seems to me an unnecessarily rude reply to what was a helpful answer by BAFlyer, which did indeed emphasise that it isn't possible to generalise WiFi performance because house construction varies so widely.
0 Ratings
Message 17 of 17

Go to solution
I would add that I use the BT Wholehome WiFi system with the white discs (4 of them around my house) rather than the black CompleteWiFi discs.
Items connected by ethernet cable to the SH2 give me about 55Mbps, while the discs give me around 45-50 Mbps, and I get seamless transitioning from one disc to another as I move things like mobile phones around my house.
I'm quite happy with this performance and I think it illustrates how one person's experience can differ widely from another's, depending on a multitude of factors which are outside BT's control. BT's customer service is not all that good, as has been illustrated by many of the discussions on this forum, but calling them a "scam" is really over the top IMHO
0 Ratings