cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

BT FULL FIBRE 900/110

Hi everyone...So we got upgraded from 80/20 FTTC to 900/110 FTTP full fibre about 3 weeks ago i would say, not sure of exact date. But anyway, so its been totally fine getting 920ish down and 100ish up after the first few days, consistent enough i would say. Have been really happy with it. Anyway about 3 days ago i noticed that on speedtest.net and FAST.com the speed would be fluctuating wildly, one test would be 500 the next 800 then 290 so on, before that, it was 900 all the time pretty much. Then i noticed the upload speed which is down to a miserable 5mbps consistently, everytime, one time i think i touched 6. I have turned everything on and off multiple times, i even factory reset the router this morn, as when i do a speedtest  on MY.BT.com it says 925.5/110.6, so it looks as if there isnt a problem, but any speedtest i can do just hits the hard cap of 5mbps up and the down is a fluctuating mess. I am hardwired to my PC. Only CAT5 but i assumed that was enough as the speeds were fine to start with right? So any help with this would be appreciated at its giving me a headache now. The household isnt upload heavy at all. So yeah, answers appreciated greatly, hope to solve this.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: BT FULL FIBRE 900/110

@CHADSGALAXYS2 

Its possible that your PC is auto negotiating the wrong speed with the BT Home Hub.

I am assuming that your PC has a Gigabit Ethernet port?

You would need a fully wired Ethernet cable between the two devices, to reduce the possibility of duplex mismatch.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duplex_mismatch

This can cause varying speeds and may be the cause of your problem.

Tags (1)
Message 3 of 6

Oh yes, i have an Asus ROG Maximus Xl formula which has a 1GB ethernet port and also a 5GB ethernet port, of which i have tried both multiple times. I feel like i have tried everything i can, reseting network ipv4 gateway ipv6 gateway, factory resetting the router this morn, im just lost at the min

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Message 5 of 6

I will try that in the following week or so when i have ordered one i guess. I didnt actually think it could be the Cable, i could try it with a different one but i would have to move my PC over towards the router as i dont have a long enough cable to reach. and would have to unplug everything from under my desk if i was to move my system... 😒

And also, thankyou for the help sir....

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

I very much doubt the cables will be Cat5, they will be Cat5e which is perfectly capable of Gigabit speeds.

0 Ratings