cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

BT Halo Hub - single Ethernet connection/two devices

Go to solution

Hi - have seen a few posts on this, but I am not having much joy with what I thought was simple. I have one long 15m ethernet cable that I run to my BT TV box. My 2020 LG TV also has an ethernet port, so I figured I could put an Ethernet splitter in, and run both the BT TV box and the TV from the existing Ethernet cable back to the BT Hub. But no success. As soon as I connect the second device's Ethernet cable, the internet connection is not recognised from either. 

Is this setup dependent on the cable Category? 5, 5e or 6? 

Does it require some confiugration change on the BT Hub? 

Thanks for any experiences from anyone who's got a comparable setup to work. 

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT Halo Hub - single Ethernet connection/two devices

Go to solution

You can not run two devices from the one cable. using a "splitter". You need to get an Ethernet switch. You can get them with five or more Ethernet ports. You plug a Ethernet cable from the BT hub into one of the ports then you can use the other ports to "feed" your other devices. 

They start in price from about £10.

Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

@Richmond35 

Welcome to this user forum for BT Retail phone and broadband customers.

You need to use an Ethernet Switch, not a splitter.

Capture.JPG

Like this https://www.tp-link.com/uk/business-networking/unmanaged-switch/tl-sg105/v6/

Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

My bad choice of words: it's an 8-port ethernet switch I have...(not a "splitter"). First connection (to either device) is fine, the second one causes both to drop out. What am I missing? 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

Yep. Something like this is what I'm using - I mis-referred to this as a "splitter". Is there more I need to do than just plug it in with an ethernet cable to the BT hub, BT TV box and my TV? . TP-LINK TL-SG108E Network Switch - 8 port

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

@Richmond35 

You need to edit out the link to Currys, as its not permitted on this forum.

Is it possible you have accidentally caused an Ethernet loop?

Only one connection should be made from the switch to the home hub, and any device connected to the switch, must not have a connection back to the home hub. 

Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

Make sure you have connected similar to this with one Ethernet cable from hub to switch then an Ethernet cable to the TV and another Ethernet cable to the TV Box.  If that doesn't work you may have a faulty Ethernet cable so try swapping them around to see if there is a faulty one.

Swich.PNG

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks - looks like one of the cables I had was not doing what I expected. Swapped it out for another and all is good. Thanks for the quick replies, much appreciated. 

0 Ratings