cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 13

Re: BT Hub and ONT

Make sure whatever switch you get that it has more ports than you currently need. I suggest you go for a 4 or 5 port switch to allow for that unexpected addition. You should be able to get a gigabit one easily for under £20 and probably under £10 now. You may think gigabit is not required yet, but you will be better off future proofing and the little extra cost is very likely worthwhile.

Just checked the big river site and a 5 port gigabit switch can be had for under £10.

Message 12 of 13

Thanks for your input @countrypaul . I'd have to agree. It's always best to future proof when you can.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 13

Just get a basic, unmanaged, 5-port gigabit switch from one of the well known names - Netgear, TP-Link etc. I run 5 Netgear switches and only had one problem with an actual switch in the years (5+) I've had them (it needed rebooting periodically). Have had one power supply fail, but that's easily replaced.

Only other advice is stick with one manufacturer if you have multiple switches. They should all work with each other but it makes life simpler if you get an issue if they are the same range of switches.

0 Ratings