cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 17

BT Hub6 - 'Privacy Warning"

Go to solution

Hi all

I have seen a thread relating to this topic but the response does not appear to match my experience hence my posing this.

I auto-connect two iphones (iPhone 7's) and several ipads to my Hub 6. I get the privacy warning on both phones but not on ipads. I have changed the 'Private Wi-Fi Address' on both phones and this has no effect on the warning, it remains regardless of the changes.

Help?

Thanks.

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17

Re: BT Hub6 - 'Privacy Warning"

Go to solution

Do you mean when connecting to 192.168.1.254 which is not, never has been, and probably never will be secure (it simply isn't necessary)  or when connecting to a web site starting with https? 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 17

Go to solution

Hi, Les-Gibson, thanks for the reply. It is simply when my iphone is connected wirelessly to the router for web access etc. I have never had this warning before, and  I get it on both iPhones, but not on ipads. I go to 'Settings', Wi-Fi, and it shows my connection to my hub, but with the words 'Privacy Warning' underneath. If I hit the 'i' button,  it tells me

"This network is blocking encrypted DNS traffic. The names of websites and other servers your device accesses on this network may be monitored and recorded by other devices on this network"

This has not been seen before, so I am puzzled as to why it has started.

Thanks again for your time.

S

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 17

Go to solution

Usual Apple paranoia.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 17

Go to solution

I think the word 'Paranoia' is a bit strong (and unhelpful too)

I simply asked a question about something I know little, or nothing, of, hoping that a more knowledgeable person in this environment could help, as did Les-Gibson. If you know what the issue is, and have a constructive comment, then please advise.

S

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 17

Go to solution

If you Google the problem you will see it isn't confined to the BT hub 6

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 17

Go to solution

Thank You

The reason I raised it on this forum was that it was happening with my APPLE phones but not APPLE iPads, all connected to the same hub.

I appreciate your response.

S

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 17

Go to solution

I think the remark "Paranoia" was directed at Apple and their security and not towards you. 

Message 9 of 17

Go to solution

Thanks gg - point taken.

But (tongue in cheek now) I think I would like all my technology suppliers to be paranoid about security @@ !

S

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 17

Go to solution

@steviebobs1 

When Apple released iOS 14, Apple users started seeing “privacy warning” and “weak security” under their WiFi connection.

The solution?

Settings / Wi-Fi / Click on the Privacy Warning / Turn off "Private Address"

Your connection will then be temporarily removed and reconnected in about 5 or 6 seconds.

Turn off the phone to reset, turn on again, back to Settings / Wi-Fi / Click on the Wi-Fi / Turn on "Private Address"

Go back to Wi-Fi and you shouldn't see the Privacy Warning.

Hope that helps.