cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 15

Re: BT Smart Hub 1 - No internet on 2.4Ghz Channel.

Go to solution

Apple devices and some Android devices now have a cunning wheeze of randomising MAC addresses each time you connect,  supposedly a security meaure. All it does is fill the hub with stale entries.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 15

Go to solution

Ah, I see. It doesn't look like my tablets have the function, but my iPhones do.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 15

Go to solution

Not always so. MAC randomisation, sometimes called private addressing, was introduced by Apple some years ago, and then adopted by Android and Windows.

Its supposed to prevent a device from being tracked from one wireless network to another. It doe that by assigning a random MAC address to the connection, instead of the real device MAC.

This causes all sorts of issues, especially on the home hub, as it creates lots of "unknown device" entries, and eventually uses up all of the internal routes, preventing new connections. It alse upsets any access controls.

With third party routers, these "stale" entries are removed by a soft reset or power reset, but not on the BT Home Hubs, owing to a very old bug in the software.

The only way to remove these entries, is with a factory reset.

Unless yo disable MAC randomisation on any connected devices, the problem will eventually re-occur.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 15

Go to solution

So if I was switching, say, my iPhone from the 5Ghz channel to the 2.4Ghz channel, would this create a new MAC address? Assuming they had different SSIDs.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 15

Go to solution

The redundant MAC addresses only seem to be on the 2.4 channel.

0 Ratings