cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 1

BT Smarthub 2 and BT Wholehome Wifi-6

Hi there,

Have a Smart Hub 2 with an extension disc, that I have been very happy with its stability and performance, but wanted to expand into the mesh arena, so bought the 3 disc set of BT WholeHome wifi6 kit and fitted it yesterday.

Apart from the usual app niggles, well documented here, all seemed to go well, with the disks connected together, registered in the app and all upgraded to the latest firmware of SGAC20832C.

I probably should say that I have experimented with the eero pro 6 mesh network previously and was totally underwhelmed, especially around the range, speed and false zigbee hub claims. Part of the eero system configuration requires either double NAT or bridging to the BT Smart Hub 2. I had chosen the latter. I noticed that in the installation of the BTWH6 discs there's no mention of performing bridging. Does that mean that I can keep the BT Smart Hub 2 wifi active? As a precaution I switched both 2.4/5GHz off on the Hub.

I modified the name of the SSID and gave my own passwords and started connecting devices. I found that I'm getting some serious drop outs, especially on the mobile phones connecting at 5GHz. When access any app that requires data pull, like BT's the wifi network will disappear on the phone and has to be reconnect again. The 2.4GHz devices appear to be a lot more stable. After reading some of the issues experienced here, I changed the backhauling from 80MHz to 160MHz and disabled legacy steering. Although slightly better, it still has drop outs.

Does anyone have any tips on getting the network more stable? Am I missing something in the configuration? Should or could I even bridge to the Smart Hub 2 router? 

One last thing I did notice , was that when my laptop is connected by an ethernet cable and I access http://btwhole.home/ is get the 'Cannot reach this page'. When I connect to via wifi, the page displays fine. I can also ping all devices on the network etc.  

Thanks

Andrew

0 Ratings