cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

BT TV Service stopping

Go to solution

Hi,

I recently renewed my broadband with BT. I had BT TV but it was a service I never signed up for and wasn't paying for so didn't see a big deal stopping it as I wasn't interested in the extra BT Subscription services but liked using iplayer etc. I have two BT boxes, a small one they say I have to return even though I got it in 2017 and a larger one that records which I bought myself in Dixons.

Please could any one confirm what TV services are supposed to stop working as I thought it would be the subscription services but it seems to be anything involving the internet. If it is everything is this done through the router as its giving a YVM102 no internet error on both boxes and even shows no internet when I plug a PC in to the connection afterwards.

It is frustrating me as I am trying to work out is the problem with the Cat5 wiring, I needed to run new cables as I had my full fibre router put upstairs instead of the room below. I have tested the new cables with a Cat5 tester and they look ok.

All the best

Paul

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: BT TV Service stopping

Go to solution

Hi @podrob As your PC is not getting an Internet connection as well as your boxes that is a clear indication  that it not specifically  as TV service problem.

There is one caveat here if your larger TV box was of the BT/Humax T1000  range. YouView have recently  disabled Internet  access to those boxes as they are no longer supported. 

To answer  your question as to what impact ceasing your BT TV (now EE TV) service on the boxes. That would mean that you lose access  to BT/EE subscription  channels and the EE TV player. Freeview  channels delivered by your aerial connection  and the other player apps should still function. 

Without  a working broadband  connection  to the box only the Freeview  channels via the aerial would be playable. 

Message 3 of 4

Go to solution
Thank you for your reply. The large box is a Humax T2110 500GB recorder, so that should still work for non subscription once I work out the Broadband issue. I am confused as the new cabling tests ok. One other thing the installer said which I don't really understand. I ran a Cat 5 to under my stairs where the Cat5 from other rooms terminate. I was going to run from the router to a network switch and then to the other rooms but the installer said to move the router to under the stairs and run to the other rooms from that. I don’t really see the difference and the router has only 3 ports where the network switch has 4 and I have 4 rooms. I have not been using the network switch yet plugging a single cable directly until I work out why the Broadband doesn’t work at either TV location any more. The reason I asked about the PC was do they disable service through the router as that would explain why a socket that is wired correctly doesn’t work through a port that was connected to a TV box and then replaced by a PC.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution
The issue appears to be with the BT Smart Hub 2 Lan ports not working rather than any other cabling. They did work a couple of days ago at least to connect a PC. Would you know is there anything I can check with that or should I just contact them.
0 Ratings